Power steering noise (pump failure?)

Rubicon John

TJ Enthusiast
So I’ve been noticing that particularly when it’s hot out my power steering likes to act up a bit. I sucked some of the old fluid out and replaced it with new fluid. It didn’t look too bad visually to begin with though.

When it’s warmed up, I hear what sounds like a power steering system that’s low on fluid or has air in it when I steer, particularly during low speed maneuvers. I recognize the noise from my days replacing power steering hoses on BMWs and bleeding the air out after refilling the ps fluid.

Is this the sign of the pump beginning to fail? The power assist is still there but it does get notchy occasionally when it’s real hot. I’m new to steering box style setups and I just want to make sure I’m not overlooking anything.

A bad power steering pump can make a whining or groaning noise that will increase with RPM's and when turning.
i don’t hear any noise at all from it until I call upon it to turn the wheels. If I am stopped and turn the wheels at all it’s very audible.

Are there any recommendations for a replacement pump out there? Rebuilt units are pretty inexpensive.

I'd get a PSC pump for mine. I've read too many stories about bad rebuilt pumps and steering boxes. They aren't cheap unfortunately. You might consider a power steering cooler at some point. Mine was pretty noisy in the heat until I got a cooler.

I'd get a PSC pump for mine. I've read too many stories about bad rebuilt pumps and steering boxes. They aren't cheap unfortunately. You might consider a power steering cooler at some point. Mine was pretty noisy in the heat until I got a cooler.
Thanks for the suggestions. I just did a little more digging into some previous threads and came across a Derale cooler on Amazon for about $30. Seems like a great option.

Reactions: pagrey
The cooler will only be a bandaid at this point. Once a hydraulic pump starts to fail the only way to stop it is to rebuild or replace it. This is hopefully just a trail rig. Because if you lose the pump on the highway it can be lethal. Seriously.

The cooler will only be a bandaid at this point. Once a hydraulic pump starts to fail the only way to stop it is to rebuild or replace it. This is hopefully just a trail rig. Because if you lose the pump on the highway it can be lethal. Seriously.
I will definitely be replacing the pump. I was just mentioning that for $30 more, I can add a cooler. To me that seems like a good way to get a bit more life out of the replacement pump. This is a weekend cruiser type vehicle.

Adding a cooler to any fluid system is always a good move. Plumb the hoses high and safe but not higher than the reservoir.

My son's YJ was notchy and noisy when turning the wheel but it was fine when going straight. I'm not sure how long that was happening but eventually, while off roading, he ended up with a pretty severe leak. Being a good mile of so away from any roads we figured driving with no power steering will have to be good enough. That lasted about 300 yards or so. No power steering turned into nothing being powered by the belt.

Here's the power steering pump at that point:
IMG_20200502_120610471.jpg

IMG_20200502_120620433_HDR.jpg

My son's YJ was notchy and noisy when turning the wheel but it was fine when going straight. I'm not sure how long that was happening but eventually, while off roading, he ended up with a pretty severe leak. Being a good mile of so away from any roads we figured driving with no power steering will have to be good enough. That lasted about 300 yards or so. No power steering turned into nothing being powered by the belt.

Here's the power steering pump at that point:
View attachment 164650

View attachment 164651
Yikes! Any idea what kind of pump you guys ended up replacing it with?