Power steering only works well when clutch is engaged

skippymcg

A little history... My power steering works well as long as the clutch is out. When the clutch is pushed in or not putting power to the motor it doesn't seem to work. Is this a faulty pump? Or because I have 33's ? If it is the latter, is there a more powerful option? My 2.5l just quit me and I have decided to just replace it with a reman 2.5l. so I don't want to put a crappy pump back on there obviously. If there is a more powerful option, I would like to go with that but if it is just faulty, I could just replace it with one just like the other.

The stock pump handles 33" tires just fine. How many miles on the pump and steering box?

There are two limitations to power steering flow: pressure and volume.

Generally, the stock pump provides adequate volume for the stock steering gear. You simply can't turn the wheel fast enough for the pump to max out its flow rate in almost any circumstance. If you add a bigger bore steering box, ram assist steering, or hydroboost brakes, then you start running into flow issues.

Pressure is increased on some pumps, but not to a significant degree. Increased pressure will increase the maximum turning force proportional to the increase in maximum pressure, assuming the stock box can handle it.

To significantly increase steering force, you would need to increase the displacement of the steering gear. This is achieved with a larger steering box or with ram assist. The larger displacement requires a larger flow rate, thus a larger pump is needed. But generally, most people don't bother with ram assist until 35s.

PSC does sell new OEM style power steering pumps (edit: link for 4.0)
https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehi...-temp/95-02-jeep-yj-xj-tj-zj/psc-sp1205c.htmlPersonally with a stock gear and no ram or hydroboost, I would stick with a RockAuto pump.

PSC does sell the CBR pump kits as well, but they're really only needed for ram assist and hydroboost.

Reactions: Irun