Power Steering Quandry

NateB

I have hit the proverbial power steering wall and hope to get some insight as I have before from the Jeep gurus. When I purchased my TJ a few months ago the power steering wasn't working and I was told by the seller that he never needed it but when he would pour power steering fluid in the reservoir it would pour out onto the ground. My first step was to replace the power steering pump and lines. It helped the issue but then I noticed the gear box was leaking. Thanks to the tips from this forum I replaced it with a '98 Durango gear box. I then went ahead and replaced the tie rods and adjustment sleeves along with the stabilizer. So now my issue. The power steering works...sometimes. When I turn the wheel to make a left or right hand turn the pump seems to groan, almost as if it is low on fluid, which it isn't. I did bleed the lines after the full install. Also, when backing into a parking spot I noticed that I had NO power steering at all. Any thoughts as to why I am in this dilemma?

very odd, perhaps the belt is slipping? Was it a new power steering pump or a used one (?) maybe you replaced the faulty power steering pump with another faulty power steering pump (if it was used)??

The belt is new, I will tighten the tensioner to see if that changes anything. I believe the pump was new but I will go back and look at my purchase receipt to see if it was a rebuilt one.

Sounds like the power steering is working intermittently. This to me seems to suggest that it's either the pump itself, it's low on fluid (or has air trapped in the system), or the belt tension is wrong (which I can't imagine, as that would be causing other issues as well).