Power Stop Brake Kit?

From the little I've read so far, they seem to be a decent option.

I'd be curious to compare them to the performance of the Black Magic Brakes.

You really can't beat the price though. Did the calipers come painted red?

Reactions: fourpointzero
Sure did

07c2f1e065b1310ef38b1d256064a9da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FTI76 and Chris
I have the Power Stop rear calipers home waiting to go on my Jeep, but I haven't decided on what pads I want yet. I was thinking either Power Stop or Hawk.

Reactions: Chris
Curious on the results, because Im soon due for new knuckles and will be upgrading the brakes when I go in.

Reactions: Chris
My understanding is for 33s or smaller the Black Magic Pads with the Centric Rotors are more than adequate using the stock calipers. I plan on going the Black Magic Route when I need to do my front brakes because they are proven, and we know Blaine will stand by his products with support, etc (provided you break them in correctly).

Definitely curious to hear how these work out for you they look nice.

Reactions: JMT
Yep, this is something I am curious about as well. I have the Vanco 16" big brake kit on my Jeep which has 33" tires. It stops like a race car, that's for sure.

However, I've been seeing a lot of these Power Stop kits lately, so even while I don't need brakes, I always like hearing about people's experiences with other products.

Competition is good for the market.

Those calipers in the kit won't do anything special or improve braking, they're still a regular single-piston caliper like the factory installed. They're just painted red. Unless your calipers are in bad shape and beyond help, there'd be no benefit to installing them.

The cross-drilled and slotted rotors won't help either unless you're track racing at high speeds where you have to brake hard enough that it turns the rotors cherry red. The holes are just there to add to the surface area to help them cool faster. The holes also reduce the swept brake area so the holes can actually reduce their braking ability. The slots are just there to help vent gases that are off-gassed when the pads get red hot. Modern pads don't off-gas so that slot is just decoration. Such rotors will NOT help improve braking with normal daily driving.

The pads are nothing special either.

What I'd do is just get the Black Magic kit which includes Black Magic's pads and Centric Premium rotors. Black Magic pads will brake your Jeep better than any pad you can buy, they produce dramatically better braking. I've been running Black Magic brakes for probably 14+ years now, they specialize specifically in Jeep brakes. There is NO ONE that provides a better brake kit than Blaine Johnson does who founded the company and also developed the Big Brake kit (which uses dual-piston calipers) sold by Vanco PBS. Blaine is a developer/guru of Jeep products and knows more about Jeeps and Jeep brakes than anyone.

His pads alone will provide startlingly better braking. Combined with Premium Centric rotors available in his kit, you'll have noticeably and dramatically better brakes.

www.blackmagicbrakes.com

Last edited:
Im running them on the front of my rubicon. Pretty nice kit. They are stock, rebuilt calipers that are painted, new rotors and new pads. They are quiet, and I can get the tires to chirp under heavy braking. Wont fully lock up, but that isnt the fastest way to stop anyway.

Those calipers in the kit won't do anything special or improve braking, they're still a regular single-piston caliper like the factory installed. They're just painted red. Unless your calipers are beyond help.

The cross-drilled rotors and slots won't help either unless you're track racing at high speeds where you have to brake hard enough that it turns the rotors cherry red. They will NOT help improve braking with normal daily driving.

What I'd do is just get the Black Magic kit which includes Black Magic's pads and Centric Premium rotors. Black Magic pads will brake your Jeep better than any pad you can buy, they produce dramatically better braking. I've been running Black Magic brakes for probably 14+ years now, they specialize specifically in Jeep brakes. There is NO ONE that provides a better brake kit than Blaine Johnson does who founded the company and also developed the Big Brake kit (which uses dual-piston calipers) sold by Vanco PBS. Blaine is a developer/guru of Jeep products and knows more about Jeeps and Jeep brakes than anyone.

His pads alone will provide startlingly better braking. Combined with Premium Centric rotors available in his kit, you'll have noticeably and dramatically better brakes.

www.blackmagicbrakes.com

Haha - I knew you would chime in with this sentiment. Power Stop = slick marketing.

Jeeps are offroad vehicles and I would worry about rocks, dirt, sand, or some other foreign debris getting stuck in the rotors slots or holes and doing major damage to the braking system.

Reactions: FTI76
I run the PS pads and rotors on my Silverado and they provide great stopping power while flat towing the TJ. No fade while coming downhill and they are actually better with heat. I wouldn't run them on an off road rig, however. I can easily see how rocks can get trapped in the holes and slots causing noise and gouging the pads. Stick with plain discs and there's no need for new calipers unless needed.

Well, there it is, as per Jerry.

I also forgot that kit has slotted rotors. Whether its true or not (makes sense to me) I was told that dirt / mud will get into the slots and be a something of concern.

Does anyone know if calipers should be replaced for a fresh set after a certain mileage? Im already at about 170k w the stock set.

I put those front rotors and pads on my 03 about two years ago. They have been good to me, and a major improvement over the ones they replaced. Those were pretty trashed when I bought my TJ, so I might have seen the same results with factory rotors. At the time at Rock Auto, the rotors and pads were cheaper than orielly's rotors.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is anyone using the Power Stop brake kit on their Jeep Wrangler TJ?

It seems like a good kit for the price, and although it only has 5 reviews, they're all positive. Just curious to see who might be running this, and how you like it.

Here's a link to the kit I am referring to: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CFL63F2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I installed these when I bought my jeep last October. I just bought the rotor and pad kit and I really like them!
There is a break-in procedure with these if you install them. I am planning on buying the kits for my other two vehicles when they need a brake job.

Those calipers in the kit won't do anything special or improve braking, they're still a regular single-piston caliper like the factory installed. They're just painted red. Unless your calipers are in bad shape and beyond help, there'd be no benefit to installing them.

The cross-drilled and slotted rotors won't help either unless you're track racing at high speeds where you have to brake hard enough that it turns the rotors cherry red. The holes are just there to add to the surface area to help them cool faster. The holes also reduce the swept brake area so the holes can actually reduce their braking ability. The slots are just there to help vent gases that are off-gassed when the pads get red hot. Modern pads don't off-gas so that slot is just decoration. Such rotors will NOT help improve braking with normal daily driving.

www.blackmagicbrakes.com
Do you know if he makes the pads and rotors for a 97?