Power upgrades for heavy winching?

Ok...so I have sins I need to fix on my dump trailer...both my HF 9500 winch and hydraulic pump are chassis grounded. I'm thinking aluminum bus bars. I looked up that a 1/2" by 1" bar of aluminum will conduct 466 amps. And 18' of of 6061 bar is $60...which is significantly cheaper than copper. I have plenty of short copper scrap pieces I can use to jumper from the bar to winch/pump and battery. The bar can be surface mounted to the steel chassis.

Am I crazy? Stupid question. Does this sound like a realistic solution? Working on replacing both batteries...who knew 7 year old interstates won't hold much of a charge.

IMG20240624103043.jpg

IMG20240624103028.jpg

IMG20240624103024.jpg

IMG20240624103001.jpg

-Mac

P.S. Yes I know I'd need no ox grease on the copper/aluminum connectors.

Unless there's a "situation" that I'm not aware of from your pix, the actual chassis will conduct more current than the bus bar - steel isn't as good of a conductor per cross section as aluminum, but there's a lot more of it (I'm assuming). With that said, the real issue with grounding high current loads to the chassis is making a GOOD high current ground - AND - keeping said ground free of corrosion, which can be problematic and its a single point of failure. That's why I have both a chassis ground AND a direct to negative cable on my Jeep winch.

So my gut says if you feel you can make a better connection to the bus bar than the chassis, by all means go with the bus bar - and you won't hurt anything in any event. You'll still have the chassis ground in addition. Either way, make a good ground stackup with star washers, flat washers, and keep it clean and dry.

Reactions: macleanflood
I'm not sure what's wrong with using the chassis for grounding, but aluminum conducts well. Better that copper by weight.

Aluminum oxide is a very poor conductor, so getting good connections is key.