Preferred A/T tire for mostly on-road use?

There's a ton of reviews, high mileage reviews and comparisons between the Patagonias and AT reviews on YouTube, you should chek em out. Some reviews say they're even quitter than many AT's too?

There's a ton of reviews, high mileage reviews . . .
Links to these "high mileage" reviews? I've seen plenty of first impressions and comments after 5-8,000 miles, but nothing yet with true high mileage. And if you are referring to that Milestar Pategonia You Tube video review with the pretty girl and the JK, that is a paid endorsement, not an independent, unbiased review.

As an example of why high mileage reviews can be more revealing than first impressions, when I first mounted a set of Cooper ST/Maxx tires which have a very aggressive AT tread I noted that they were even quieter than the Bridgestone "street" AT's they replaced. That was no longer true after 10,000 miles and I observed (as noted in Post #53) that the ST/Maxx would start to "sing" if they weren't rotated every 4,000-5,000 miles. After 30,000 miles tire rotation couldn't stop the singing although it didn't get really noticeable until 35,000. Also, although measurements of remaining tread taken at each tire rotation suggested that the ST/Maxx might last 40,000-45,000 miles, as the tires wore it became apparent that they were wearing faster as the mileage increased. As it turned out they were only good for 38,000 miles of mixed on-offroad use. These observations could not have been made until the tires went through their entire service life.

Last edited:
If somebody asked what A/T they should get for a rig that is primarily used off-road what tires would you recommend? Seems like most people on this thread have entirely ignored the question and just stated their favorite A/T tire. Why would anybody recommend what are essentially the two most aggressive A/T tires made today for street use? And now we are talking about a M/T, whaaaa?

If somebody asked what A/T they should get for a rig that is primarily used off-road [sic] what tires would you recommend? Seems like most people on this thread have entirely ignored the question and just stated their favorite A/T tire. Why would anybody recommend what are essentially the two most aggressive A/T tires made today for street use? And now we are talking about a M/T, whaaaa?

See Post 51. Its not me that is advocating an MT tire to someone asking about an AT tire for primarily on-road use.

For a jeep that is mostly on pavement my first choice would be BFG AT KO2. Second would be Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx and third would be Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT or XLT (depending on size). Load Range C if at all possible. . . .

The funny part is that I think the Patagonia MT fits great in a discussion about the KO2, Durtrac and the ATX.
That's the point, even though they're MT's guys are giving them surprisingly two thumbs up for great AT's also. That's the only reason I brought them up.

Im currently running 265/75r16 Yokohama Geolander A/Ts and though they dont look as aggressive as others, they perform really well and make for great on road use. I took them to kentucky, in mud and rocks and creeks and they didnt lose traction except for when it was like 6inches of slushy mud, and they perform generally pretty well in snow. I dont see as many people using these and I got them lightly used off of craigslist but they are definitely a viable option.

This is a comparison of my stock tires to them prior to my OME lift.
20180507_155433.jpg

Reactions: pagrey
Im currently running 265/75r16 Yokohama Geolander A/Ts and though they dont look as aggressive as others, they perform really well and make for great on road use. . . .

Funny that you would mention Geolander AT's.

In 1996 or 1997 I tried a set of the original style Geolander ATii's on a mildly lifted CJ-7 because much of my offroading at that time involved desert washes, sand, etc. rather than rockcrawling on granite and I often had to drive 2 hours or more just to get to the trailhead.

I had the opportunity to use those 32x11.50-15 Geolanders at Moab, the Dusy Ershim Trail and also over the Rubicon Trail. They worked surprisingly well in those environments, and were absolutely trouble free on pavement and mild offroading.

When I was investigating "overlanding" tires in 2012 the Cooper Discoverer AT3 came highly recommended in many circles. One of the first things I noticed was the resemblance to the long discontinued original Geolander ATii's.

Original Yokohama Geolander ATii (taken on "the Gatekeeper" at the end of the Dusy Ershim Trail):

Yokohama Geolander AT ii.jpg

Cooper Discoverer AT3:

Geolander ATii's on my CJ-7 in Pritchett Canyon at Moab:

Pritchett Cyn Moab UT 1999.jpg

I had forgotten about Geolanders. They might be a good option for OP.

I would take a good look at the Mastercraft AXT and CXT. I haven't had either of these put did have Mastercraft street tires on a Silverado and now have MXT's on my jeep. I got very good service from the street tires, and so far am well pleased with the MXT's. Also they don't break the bank! And I believe that M/C has a 45 day trail period on their A/T tires.

Reactions: Mr. Bills
Another vote for Duratrac. I have 33x12.50 tires on my TJ and I'm a fan. I'm looking to eventually bump up to 35" tires, but they unfortunately stopped making a 35" version a few years ago.

Vote for the General ATX. Great on the street and I was super impressed offroad. I wanted something different, everyone has the KO2s.

I just put a set on my 2004 TJ and am pretty satisfied so far. Aggressive enough for my off road needs yet satisfactory for road use. When we get snow I'll know more. I have had BFG KO2s, Goodyear MT/rs, Cooopers, etc. on various 4WD vehicles in the past. The tire shop guy advised me to rotate the General AT/Xs every 5,000 miles which I will do as the shop covers lifetime rotation if they sell the tire.

I think any TRUE A/T should give the OP decent service. Once you start to get into the 'wanna-be M/T' tread designs then you will suffer much more on the street where he will be predominantly driving. Unless thick mud or big rocks are planned then a regular A/T should be ideal. Any of them. I personally love the Coopers, but Geolanders and others that share similar tread patterns would work. From there look at what the brand is known for. Bulletproof sidewall? Not needed. Hard to balance? Not wanted. Short tread life, looong tread life? Neither is great. Rubber is either too soft or too hard to give him what he wants. We don't need to get into a fist fight over this. 😎

I think any TRUE A/T should give the OP decent service. Once you start to get into the 'wanna-be M/T' tread designs then you will suffer much more on the street . . . . We don't need to get into a fist fight over this. 😎

We will get along famously as long as you refer to them as "aggressive AT's" or "commercial traction tires" instead of "wanna-be M/T's." I think they are quite happy being what they are. :geek:

I think any TRUE A/T should give the OP decent service. Once you start to get into the 'wanna-be M/T' tread designs then you will suffer much more on the street where he will be predominantly driving. Unless thick mud or big rocks are planned then a regular A/T should be ideal. Any of them. I personally love the Coopers, but Geolanders and others that share similar tread patterns would work. From there look at what the brand is known for. Bulletproof sidewall? Not needed. Hard to balance? Not wanted. Short tread life, looong tread life? Neither is great. Rubber is either too soft or too hard to give him what he wants. We don't need to get into a fist fight over this. 😎
My wife has the Geolanders on her Subaru Forester, they are nail and screw magnets, she has had them for just over a year and has picked up 5 nails/screws in them, one of them dangerously close to the sidewall. I'm considering replacing that one with something cheap long enough to get the rest of them worn down and then replace them with some Michelin Defenders.

Haha, I hear you. They aren’t cheap, but still way cheaper than the tires for most high performance sports cars!
He says as I'm putting up $400 for two front tires for my M3... lol

So far I'm very happy with the KO2s on my Rubicon. Great street manners and in the wet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I know its not an A/T tire but how about Michelin Defenders, they don't look aggressive but from what I understand are decent off road. More importantly you would be selecting a tire that fits your actual use which is mostly driving on pavement. Seems to be a tire designed for your situation, however I know it might not have the right look, which is how most people pick tires.

I have had 2 sets of Duratracs on 2 different wranglers which were both mainly off-road and I find them to be loud on the road and only get louder with age. That said they are a great performing tire in wet, dirt, mud, snow so they work for my application. But if it was my daily I dont know that I would want to listen to them all the time.

I had falkin wildpeak A/t3's on my truck and while they were one of the heaviest tires in the category they were quiet and handled nice. I would consider this option if they have them in the size you need.