Prep before installing corner armor?

TJustin

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I have a pair of GenRight corner armor that I am prepping to install soon. I am curious to know what can/should be done to prevent the body from rusting behind the corner armor.

What have others done?

Thanks,

Reactions: reddvltj
I'm interested in the answer too. Mine came with corners installed and I plan to pull them to make sure there is no rot. When reinstalling the armor I plan to use automotive seam sealer on the top and sides (leaving the bottom open) to prevent water from passing through.

When I installed my corner armor I made sure to prep the inside with a nice thick coat of primer sealer. I sprayed the inside with the base and clear coat.
Prepped the tub by applying a good coat of wax followed by a ceramic coat. Used touch up paint on all the holes I drilled and any rock chips. Hoping that the clean surfaces together will hold off the rust...fingers crossed 🤞

they have only been on about a year. I haven’t taken them off so I can’t give any feedback on the results

Ive also heard of the seam sealer or silicon on the top edge. I worry it will hold moisture longer if the seal isn’t 100% water tight.

When I installed my corner armor I made sure to prep the inside with a nice thick coat of primer sealer. I sprayed the inside with the base and clear coat.
Prepped the tub by applying a good coat of wax followed by a ceramic coat. Used touch up paint on all the holes I drilled and any rock chips. Hoping that the clean surfaces together will hold off the rust...fingers crossed 🤞

they have only been on about a year. I haven’t taken them off so I can’t give any feedback on the results

Ive also heard of the seam sealer or silicon on the top edge. I worry it will hold moisture longer if the seal isn’t 100% water tight.

That you Cole?

Yep! That exhaust sounds killer on the LJ 🤘🏻

The vinyl automotive wrap is a great idea. Maybe even some of that “Clear Bra” material.

Glad to hear the exhaust worked out. What did you have to do to get it to fit?

Glad to hear the exhaust worked out. What did you have to do to get it to fit?
I ended up cutting my factory system off in between the muffler and the mid cat. Welded a 16” long piece of exhaust tubing to the flange that bolts to the cat. Slid the muffler/tailpipe on to it and used the band clamp. Bolted the flange back to the cat. Worked out awesome and all the hangers lined up nicely.