Problem installing polyurethane rear sway bar bushings

Mark Pate

Greetings:

I searched and found no results for this problem, if its a duplicate please forgive me.

I ordered a set of Energy Suspension rear poly sway bar bushings for my 97 TJ SE, I'm having problems installing the drop link bushings. I've tried everything, I have a shop press, a set of ball joint presses, and even tried just a washer and long nut to try and press these into the link. No success. I greased it thoroughly and the poly distorts rather than push into the eye of the link. Its pressing straight in.

I measured the stock one that came out, the OD of the old bushing for the part inside the eye is 1.08", the poly one is 1.17". I figured there may have been some wear to account for that difference. However, the outside retainer sleeve is 1.27" on the old one and 1.41" on the poly. This seems to be where the problem lies, I'm fairly certain the old one should have no wear on the outside sleeve. It seems the poly is too large to be pressed into the link eye.

Has anyone else had this problem? This is my first TJ, but I've put plenty of bushings in XJs in the past no problem. The bar appears to be undisturbed and never removed. This thing has a Rough Country 4" Lift kit on it, the online parts catalog for that kit shows it comes with rear links, so therein may be my problem. Do I need to order Rough Country Bushings?

Stuff like that is so cheap it isn't worth your time. Just buy new ones, especially with 4" of lift, you could use longer links.

Yes, you are correct, but these are the longer links. I'm just trying to make sure I havent gone nuts because I cant make these bushings fit. I will call Rough Country in the morning and see if their bushings are different from stock--
Update: Called Rough Country, New links $39.95, bought set of bushings and sleeves for 13.95. The person that "kid-a-fied" this one left the inner sleeves out and caused this problem. Correct bushings on the way, this should fix it. Great customer service from GC.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT