Problem with battery vs. alternator or a combo??

Gaspaszr

I have 2006 Lj. 4.0 liter with manual tranny. Only 42k miles on odometer. Purchased in 2014 and installed new battery, so 7 year old battery (likely problem), usually leave battery tinder on it during winter months. Starts and runs great when driven frequently but allowed it to sit for 10 days, resulting in dead battery, multimeter yields 9 volts. Charged battery for 24 hrs., now at 12.6 volts, brief drop to 11.2 volts when load applied and then back to 12.6 volts. Alternator indicates a charge of 13.6 volts and will drop to 13.2 volts under load. No voltage drop on alternator when tested grounds or connections. No parasitic draw noted.
It’ s apparent that I need new battery but I’m contemplating a new alternator, if it is not supplying adequate charge to battery..
Any suggestions?? Thank you

The more often a battery is allowed to discharge, the less time it will hold a charge and the less of a charge it will hold. That it has lasted 7 years with it having been allowed to discharge multiple times is a near-miracle. So it's no wonder the alternator is unable to keep it charged. I'd replace the battery with a good quality AGM (but not an Optima) battery and assume the alternator is fine.

Reactions: CodaMan