Problem with Dana 30 differential

I see a few dings and a lot of reflection but no hash marks on the locker.

ok now that i'm not on a small ass phone i can see some scars.

is this what y'all are referring to?
the whole thing looks like it rolled around in someone toolbox.
why would the presumed pinion scars not carry the whole circumference?

View attachment 193242

View attachment 193243

They might. We're looking at a shiny picture. I can see more that you didn't circle. And if the pinion is loose, it may or may not make consistent markings.

Reactions: someguysjeep
The service people said the following: It is normal to have chips because the gear is being developed the first 1000 miles. The scratches on the ARB case are from the pinion when installed. There is no friction in the ARB case now. Pignon gets reduce because otherwise have friction in the ARB case. On the front pinion there is no spacer, no crushing bushing between the bearings? The clearance is determined only by the bearings ...? I don't know if it's true?

The service people said the following: It is normal to have chips because the gear is being developed the first 1000 miles. The scratches on the ARB case are from the pinion when installed. There is no friction in the ARB case now. Pignon gets reduce because otherwise have friction in the ARB case. On the front pinion there is no spacer, no crushing bushing between the bearings? The clearance is determined only by the bearings ...? I don't know if it's true?

The front pinion DOES need a crush sleeve. If you don't have a crush sleeve the bearings will fail. From what you have described this is what I believe is happening. If you do not have a crush sleeve, then the bearings will get loose and the the pinion will make contact with the ARB case as your pictures show. The front MUST have a crush sleeve in order to prevent this. The only other way is if they used a crush sleeve eliminator (which I doubt since you are in Bulgaria). I would call them back and verify that they did or did not use a crush sleeve.

Reactions: someguysjeep
This is a pic with the crush sleeve. It goes between the two bearings.

PKD30-TJ-2.jpg

Yes. I have in the set .... If it is not installed, a big problem .... There is no DANA30 on which the nut can be tightened without fixing it in advance with a crushing sleeve, right?

I kept the rest of the repair parts. There are 2 removed crusing sleeves.. The new 2 crusing sleeves are missing. So they must be installed on the car. Or they are lost... And these service people are telling me complete nonsense.

Yes. I have in the set .... If it is not installed, a big problem .... There is no DANA30 on which the nut can be tightened without fixing it in advance with a crushing sleeve, right?

There is no stock TJ that doesn't use a crush sleeve on the Dana 30. However, some people will install a high pinion Dana 30 that came from a cherokee XJ. That one uses shims, not a crush sleeve. Since you are in Bulgaria, I don't think you have that.

I kept the rest of the repair parts. There are 2 removed crusing sleeves.. The new 2 crusing sleeves are missing. So they must be installed on the car. Or they are lost... And these service people are telling me complete nonsense.

It should only have one crush sleeve installed, not two. Hopefully everything is ok. If it breaks, then they should fix it.

I'm not an expert but it seems rears have it and fronts don't. That's at least been my limited experience of 2 of each.

I finally got a chance to pull my covers this morning and both of my Dana 30 front axles 1 LP and 1 HP both factory have oil slingers. My limited understanding of it's purpose is to keep the outer bearing lubed. The more I learn the more confused I get.🤣

I have a crushable sleeve installed to DANA30. They lied to me, out of necessity. Now they just tightened the nut, to the necessary effort. I'll test it 200-300 miles, then drain the oil and see if there are any shavings in the oil. If there are no shavings, werry well. If there are shavings, I send car it to another auto-service.

Reactions: hosejockey61