Problem with fitment of the Sound Ordnance B-8PT subwoofer / amp

DaveK22

I just finished installing the Sound Ordnance B-8PT which has an older yet good install thread here...

https://*****************/forum/f20/easy-console-8-sub-upgrade-sound-ordnance-b-8pt-1457573/

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html#&gid=1&pid=2

Anyway, my only problem seems to be that it is too high. Top top of amp hits the bottom of the cassette box inside the console. Seems to be about 3/8-1/2" too high for proper clearance. There is a few install threads on this unit but no one seems to comment on a height problem.

I did add a thin felt pad adhesive to the bottom but that is probably only 1/8" and def needed to keep from vibrating on the metal floor. Then it dawned on my that maybe this unit has slightly change in dimension from the older threads.

Can anyone confirm? At this point I may have to remove & mod the cassette box but hoping to take another look to see if I goofed something up.

Reactions: pc1p and Chris
OK, so going to answer my own question lol

This sub unit is too tall to fit in my center console (03 Sahara) without modification of the inner tray. Maybe other years or models have a different inner console box, but mine had the cassette tape storage layout on the bottom. So I had to remove the box, hacksaw off about 1" off bottom, then I bonded a piece of hard plastic to make a new bottom.

In order to remove the inner box, you have to drill out the inside of the 4 rivets. Then pry rivet up & out with a flat head screwdriver. When replacing, just install new nuts & bolts.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the update, I'll bet that's bound to help someone out in the future!

Glad you were able to get it figured out.

When I put my pioneer D8601 in my center console, I took the liner out and put a computer fan in the back of the console that comes on with the amp. It works great, I just wish I used nuts and bolts the first time instead of having to fix double sided tape twice.

Reactions: Chris
I may try to get some pics but here is how I mounted the amp...
1. I used the rubber feet off oem amp & glued them to the driver side of the amp. They were too tall to go on bottom but seemed a perfect fit for the driver side. This was to prevent rattling and touching the side of the center console.
2. I installed a adhesive backed felt pad strip to bottom (cut to fit). (This pad was from Lowes near their chair/stool foot protection section). This pad lays went between amp & metal floor.
3. I mounted 1 "L" bracket to floor using self tapping screws. This was mounted on the driver side, in line of rear bolt for parking brake mount, and on the side of the amp.
4. Then I used a black rubber bungee cord to strap the amp from the "L" bracket, over top of amp, and hooked other end to the rear part of the parking brake bracket. No drilling on parking brake bracket, there was a gap where I just looped the "S" hook from the bungee.

I won't drive my jeep until the road salt is gone but the amp seems VERY secure. The bungee seems to pull it towards the floor mostly and seems very stable. As far as I can tell, nothing touches the center console.

Reactions: Damageinc
I may try to get some pics but here is how I mounted the amp...
1. I used the rubber feet off oem amp & glued them to the driver side of the amp. They were too tall to go on bottom but seemed a perfect fit for the driver side. This was to prevent rattling and touching the side of the center console.
2. I installed a adhesive backed felt pad strip to bottom (cut to fit). (This pad was from Lowes near their chair/stool foot protection section). This pad lays went between amp & metal floor.
3. I mounted 1 "L" bracket to floor using self tapping screws. This was mounted on the driver side, in line of rear bolt for parking brake mount, and on the side of the amp.
4. Then I used a black rubber bungee cord to strap the amp from the "L" bracket, over top of amp, and hooked other end to the rear part of the parking brake bracket. No drilling on parking brake bracket, there was a gap where I just looped the "S" hook from the bungee.

I won't drive my jeep until the road salt is gone but the amp seems VERY secure. The bungee seems to pull it towards the floor mostly and seems very stable. As far as I can tell, nothing touches the center console.

Reviving this thread.

Did you take pictures of the way you set up your Ordnance? I'm thinking about putting some rubber washers under the console to lift it up a bit and make space for the subwoofer. I'm having the same problem. Only need about 1/2 inch of clearance to be able to fit it without making any modifications.

DaveK22, I just read these posts and have to ask two questions. ....... (well, multi part really)

You have a jeep but don't drive it in the snow? What do you drive when it snows? This is why I have mine, so I can get off the mountain in the winter when nothing else but a trackloader will.

And, did I read that right? Do you have a cassett player? Really? I'm old and bald but not rockin' it that old school. You go with it!

Reactions: JMT
Thanks for the reply @Airjunky. I did read multiple posts and went through many pictures here and in other forums. The problem is that the dimensions of the new Ordnance have changed from the older units. The older units were smaller and required no mods whatsoever. This is one of the newest threads, and therefore more relevant to the problem I am having.
Sorry to hear that. But glad I went the other way instead. Good luck.

DaveK22, I just read these posts and have to ask two questions. ....... (well, multi part really)

You have a jeep but don't drive it in the snow? What do you drive when it snows? This is why I have mine, so I can get off the mountain in the winter when nothing else but a trackloader will.

And, did I read that right? Do you have a cassett player? Really? I'm old and bald but not rockin' it that old school. You go with it!

I bought a rust free jeep from South Carolina and had it shipped to NY. Since I wrote that post about not driving in snow, I fluid filmed entire frame and undercarriage. I will now likely drive on the salty NY roads now that its protected. Guy that did my lift was drooling over the condition of her...and Im going to try and maintain that as long as I can.

No to having a cassette player but my TJ had the tray in arm console to store them. That tray is what I had to cut out & shorten to make room for the units height.

Reactions: Hound Dog
Reviving this thread.

Did you take pictures of the way you set up your Ordnance? I'm thinking about putting some rubber washers under the console to lift it up a bit and make space for the subwoofer. I'm having the same problem. Only need about 1/2 inch of clearance to be able to fit it without making any modifications.

If I have pics I will have to search my pic archives. I dont think you’ll like the look of trying to raise the entire console with spacers or washers...it’ll just look funny having a large gap around the bottom.

I mounted my B-8PTD under the drivers seat. I did have to trim the back inner seat mount about 1/4" to fit the speaker. I'm not sure I'm going to leave it there due to possible water damage.

I mounted my B-8PTD under the drivers seat. I did have to trim the back inner seat mount about 1/4" to fit the speaker. I'm not sure I'm going to leave it there due to possible water damage.
I thought about that, but I really like having it inside the center console. I wonder if using a heat gun to mold that cassette-holding piece can work? And, maybe that helps secure the speaker in place.

I thought about that, but I really like having it inside the center console. I wonder if using a heat gun to mold that cassette-holding piece can work? And, maybe that helps secure the speaker in place.

Just drill the rivets out with small drill bit that hold that plastic cassette tray in. then take a hacksaw and trim off bottom. You'll need to buy 4 small nut/bolts to replace rivets. Then I used epoxy to bond a new flat bottom on and spray painted it black. I don't recall what I used for new bottom but I know it was something laying in my basement. This is what I did and came out great.

You definitely don't want anything touching the speaker...it'll rattle your teeth out of your head lol

Just drill the rivets out with small drill bit that hold that plastic cassette tray in. then take a hacksaw and trim off bottom. You'll need to buy 4 small nut/bolts to replace rivets. Then I used epoxy to bond a new flat bottom on and spray painted it black. I don't recall what I used for new bottom but I know it was something laying in my basement. This is what I did and came out great.

You definitely don't want anything touching the speaker...it'll rattle your teeth out of your head lol
Lol. Thanks for that feedback. I think I have some time this weekend to work something out. Thanks again.

EDIT : the Ordnance ended up fitting well. I put a 1/8 inch piece of foam on the bottom and top of the subwoofer. No rattles. Works really well with this radio unit (see below). Everything has a stock look and it's exactly what I wanted.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-tj1001-chinese-knock-off-review.1467/page-10

Last edited:
I just finished installing the Sound Ordnance B-8PT which has an older yet good install thread here...

https://*****************/forum/f20/easy-console-8-sub-upgrade-sound-ordnance-b-8pt-1457573/

Anyway, my only problem seems to be that it is too high. Top top of amp hits the bottom of the cassette box inside the console. Seems to be about 3/8-1/2" too high for proper clearance. There is a few install threads on this unit but no one seems to comment on a height problem.

I did add a thin felt pad adhesive to the bottom but that is probably only 1/8" and def needed to keep from vibrating on the metal floor. Then it dawned on my that maybe this unit has slightly change in dimension from the older threads.

Can anyone confirm? At this point I may have to remove & mod the cassette box but hoping to take another look to see if I goofed something up.

Pictures not loading for this thread. I'm interested in buying and installing the sound ordnance or similar sound storm in console, was hoping to see pics of installs that work.

Pictures not loading for this thread. I'm interested in buying and installing the sound ordnance or similar sound storm in console, was hoping to see pics of installs that work.

I just went out and removed my console to get the final install pics. Standby...

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg
IMG_2319.jpg
IMG_2320.jpg