Problems with #4 fuel injector on 2.5

ShaneMK

I have a 1998 Wrangler TJ with the 2.5l engine in it. I’ve been thinking about building a 4.0 engine for it (won’t be 4.0 for long), but that’s a topic for another day. My problem right now is concerning my fourth fuel injector. I have been getting check engine codes since I bought the jeep, and honestly kind of just ignoring it (not wanting to get in to deep kinda thing) but I bought myself a obd2 scanner and found out my 4th fuel injector had an open circuit. So I replaced it no biggie, cleared the codes and went on my way, but the light case back on very quickly and so got to wondering. I took a look at several things in the engine bay, and looked at all the wiring and someone’s definitely messed with it before, and pretty poorly, there’s a jumper wire on injector 1 going to the actual plug where all the injectors go to I believe, but that’s not causing a problem, not right now atleast. So after I replaced the injector you could tell it was performing much better, but after a little driving it felt like it was dropping it occasionally, and idle seemed rougher. I don’t think the injector is bad, I’ve swapped it to another spot and it worked fine, and the other injector I put into #4 started dropping. I was wondering if I should check all the wiring, maybe even replace it all to get rid of that god awful jumper wire, or is there another problem tjs commonly have?

Your issue is wiring related, I'm almost certain of it.

You need to undo whatever the previous idiot did and take care of the wiring situation, which is clearly what is causing the check engine lights.

I would highly encourage you to download a free copy of the FSM here:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

All of the factory wiring diagrams are in there, which will help tremendously in troubleshooting this.

Your issue is wiring related, I'm almost certain of it.

You need to undo whatever the previous idiot did and take care of the wiring situation, which is clearly what is causing the check engine lights.

I would highly encourage you to download a free copy of the FSM here:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

All of the factory wiring diagrams are in there, which will help tremendously in troubleshooting this.
Thank you so much for the link, that’s fantastic, yeah I’m an outboard boat mechanic and never really worked on this exact problem but similar on boats. So I was thinking the same thing, I’m going to be working on it this weekend! Thanks for the help!

Reactions: Chris
Thank you so much for the link, that’s fantastic, yeah I’m an outboard boat mechanic and never really worked on this exact problem but similar on boats. So I was thinking the same thing, I’m going to be working on it this weekend! Thanks for the help!

No problem at all! You'll find the FSM is loaded with information.