onestrongwriter

I do not own a wrangler...

What I have is a 1991 Cherokee XJ 2.5L manual 5 spd, no abs, no a/c, no rear wiper, crank windows, manual mirrors, manual seats, and idiot lights and no tach, just the dumb shift light that thinks it should be a 6 spd lol. and she had 094k when I bought her. Ive put at least 8k on it in the past year. She did sit for a while before I bought her and my hubby replaced a lot on the front axle, plus shocks and springs, shocks in the rear, and he thought the plugs and wires were new. Oil change, new air filter, and installed a gauge for the battery, 4high works for the most part...
and problems..

Now.. I went to a cherokee forum about my problems and no one knows about the 2.5L from 1991..
So I thought, maybe someone might have ideas here.

I saw some posts about O2 sensors causing problems at weird times... I doubt that is my problem.. or could now be secondary.

One night in Feb I was driving quite a distance.. Instead of only struggling in 4th gear, it struggled all day going about an hour n half down the expressway. I could gain speed, but it was not easy.
I stayed where I was for about 2 hours, stopped and filled up the tank, and started home. After only about half an hour, most of it highway, when it was dark, and I was going about 80 mph, there was a bang and the poor girl just stopped. There was no check engine light until it died. I pulled off the road and looked under the hood, and discovered that the entire driver side of the engine compartment was wet. There may have been a mild gas smell on the oil dipstick. A roadside assistance guy stopped to check on me, stating he was also a mechanic, asked me to try to start it, stated he did not think it was getting gas by the sound, and sped off to home. I called AAA and towed her home. Over the next couple of days, I turned the key just to check the gas gauge. It was still on full. The smell of gas was so strong in the driveway after I did this, I was sure I would see a leak but with the amount of snow I couldn't see anything.

Then it snowed so much more in my area, I couldn't even. So, yesterday I finally decided to look under the hood after checking for codes and attempting to see if it would still crank. 12 and 54 via the key turn method. And yes, she cranks, Everything has power inside, dome, dash and that annoying chine. I still have a full tank, or nearly. There has not been a fuel smell, and the only thing leaking is my power steering res... which is not new, though I finally took a pic and either need a new one or I get to practice with plastic weld lol.

Now comes the fun part. I decided to take photos and video. I did use my phone on video to check and see if the fuel pump made noise. I set my phone on my rear, driver side tire and turned the key. I recorded noise. I opened the hood and, of course, the only wet I see is on the valve cover, until I look at the air filter. the filter itself and the inside of the hose going towards the throttle body is wet, maybe exhaust with a tiny bit of fuel smell. Nothing overpowering as far as aroma.

I continue looking around and notice every single wire is off my distributor, wire for plug 1 is broken and the boot is still on the distributor. The wire from the distributor is frayed. There are 2 connectors nearby that look clean like something should recently be attached... one has 3 wires and goes to the harness on the firewall on the right side. the other is small and round and has a yellow wire with a white stripe, it looks to go towards the engine near what I think is the oil pressure gauge. On the driver side, I found a connector without a part for it. It kind of looks like a tiny 220 plug, with a spot for 2 blades and a single round hole. It doesn't look like it reaches very far, and is connected in the wiring harness that goes down over the throttle body towards the front. no one seems to know what it goes to, and searching for sensors and switches and connectors, I cannot find it. One other thing that may or may not be important. Under the firewall is a steel line of some sort that kind of loops over and back down, and is not attached to anything.

To make matters more interesting, I decided to look around more. There is the holder for a/c in the engine compartment. I looked in the engine compartment fuse/relay box and discovered that the relay for the cooling fan is not there, but there is a relay in the a/c spot...

It was suggested a person got into it and screwed it up. I have my doubts. I don't have enemies where I am. I see cherokees all the time, they all say 4.0 on the back... The guy down the street likes jeeps, but his are much newer....

I really like her. Can you help me?

Sounds like you have a fuel issue maybe a busted line. The fuel pump should turn on when you turn the key to the accessory position. I'd turn the key and then start walking around the jeep to see where the fuel is coming from.

If that doesn't result in anything I'd rent a compression tester just so you know if your getting compression out of all 4 cylinders. The loud bang may have been internal and your chasing your tail.

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.