Processes for Painting Steel

I need a friend named Joe to paint my half doors...:(
You’re not too far away from my Joe. My secretary was in Albuquerque last weekend. Come on over, we’ll have a paint party

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
My recent issue wasn’t due to lack of prep, in fact I prepped for days, my problem has to do with trying to save money and using the wrong product, namely a general wax and grease remover. I would recommend using what your paint manufacture suggest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I didn't mean to imply anything about what issues you're dealing with on ol' blue.. just wanted to point out how much prep is going into getting paint back on. But my post was geared more towards repainting doors, hoods, etc. Bumpers, sliders, etc.. I'd probably go with something more durable myself.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply anything about what issues you're dealing with on ol' blue.. just wanted to point out how much prep is going into getting paint back on. But my post was geared more towards repainting doors, hoods, etc. Bumpers, sliders, etc.. I'd probably go with something more durable myself.

Lol, I thought I was being used as an example of poor prep! All is good, unfortunately I have to remove all the masking to wash the crap off my Jeep and start all over[emoji849].

Go to Jay Leno's Garage and look for his piece on POR 15 paint. I've used it a lot and it's bullet proof. Easy to apply, it brushes on and self levels very well, looks great. If it will be out in the sun they have a chassis black top coat that is a rattle can, goes on great. This stuff is tough as nails.

Reactions: JMT
My recent issue wasn’t due to lack of prep, in fact I prepped for days, my problem has to do with trying to save money and using the wrong product, namely a general wax and grease remover. I would recommend using what your paint manufacture suggest!

Live and learn, that is what life is all about. When I was younger I always over think my projects, I do not ask suggestions either (at my age back then, for I know it all), I messed up so many paint job then that now I just make it so simple, dish soap and warm water. Live and learn my friend, you'll get there.

Reactions: jeepersoutpost
Live and learn, that is what life is all about. When I was younger I always over think my projects, I do not ask suggestions either (at my age back then, for I know it all), I messed up so many paint job then that now I just make it so simple, dish soap and warm water. Live and learn my friend, you'll get there.

Lol, I didn’t have this much trouble when I was 16 and hooked a cheap paint gun strait up to the compressor, no filter, only a pressure regulator. Now I have a nice compressor, nice gun, and filters out the wazoo, and I can’t get paint to stick![emoji849]

Reactions: TJ2
Lol, I didn’t have this much trouble when I was 16 and hooked a cheap paint gun strait up to the compressor, no filter, only a pressure regulator. Now I have a nice compressor, nice gun, and filters out the wazoo, and I can’t get paint to stick![emoji849]

Now you care too much and the paint knows it

Reactions: KCsTJ
I agree, good stuff. I'm using their chassis coat on my Jeeps underbelly as I did the suspension lift & control arms.

Eastwood makes some good stuff but without pictures it didn't happen....Maybe create a how to thread?
When I get the sliders in, I’ll start inserting posts in my build thread documenting the process...

Zinc phosphate primer works best on aluminum; I've never been that impressed with it on steel.

You can get by with rattle cans on some of this, but prep is critical and it's always a good idea to bake the parts between coats. Which can be an issue with large parts. And there's always powder coating as a relatively easy option..

I see where the OP is getting it done professionally, and that's a good solution.