Project Rubicon TJ - Discovering the Future

3rd TJ

Supporting Member
My wife and I have decided that a Wrangler will always be part of our family. I have had 2 Wranglers previous to this. My first was a 2000 Se auto and the second was a 2001 Sport auto. My children have decided that when I sold the Sport (the only one they knew) they loved the ride as well. I started on a hunt to find another TJ to replace the fun of our last one. This is my third TJ and hopefully the best of the bunch.

It is a complete work in progress that I am working through on the discovery stages at the moment. It was trailered home 400 miles by my Dad and I am working through the list of items it needs. The focus is mechanical soundness first and then all other extras. I could really use the advice and expertise of the collective group (used many times in the past to better my past rides) on this build to make a complete and dependable daily driver and trail rig.

The plan of action is to do the majority of work myself and not outsource. I have had many vehicles and worked on all of them. I have the time, tools and patience to tackle most projects. There is a sense of personal accomplishment and enjoyment that will come from this project.

First the good….

Frame is a sound rust free West Texas Jeep. The motor and transmission are sound. The interior is in good shape other than the driver seat foam and fabric. The air conditioner is in good working order as well. I am finally starting with a Rubicon for a build.

The bad….

Transmission bushing appears to be worn (clunks when engaging driveline). The driver rear lower control arm is worn. There is play in u joints for front and rear drive shaft. There is about a half an inch of play in the front and rear driveshafts to pinion engagement. The rear track bar has play. The sway bar end links and frame mounts in the rear are loose. There is signs of rear axle seal leakage on the backside of the rear brake shields. There is a known leak on the passenger front knuckle as well.

Plan of action…..

Based on the unknown lift setup in rear, the thought is to redo the whole rear end control arms and track bar maintaining the springs and shocks. Replace all 3 u joints on the rear drive shaft as well. Also replace the sway bar in the rear. Run the vehicle and determine if the differentials and gears need to be looked at.

Up front, the steering linkages are sloppy and a complete replacement is in order. The sway bar setup is not quick disconnect but also appears to have wear. The pitman arm is dropped as well as the relocation of the front track bar. The geometry appears to be in the same arc and should not cause a bump steer problem.

The main focus at this time is to tighten up the rear end and transmission mounts and take it for another spin. After the rear is tightened up, the front will receive some attention (this is not a daily driver right now).

I am all ears to what y’all think for products and plan of attack.

Joe

84855C48-F382-4FC8-AFE2-91A1FA2BF5DF.jpeg

A49A962F-7728-4951-A905-43E6257E68D8.jpeg

C9DF3E20-C384-481A-836D-EA31F954516A.jpeg

F236B63A-72F6-41DA-88A6-13F865F6A020.jpeg

D7A02559-B7CD-4094-B1E1-827EE0EED016.jpeg

3DCB2063-3B16-4033-85FF-13E2E2D1B496.jpeg

CBE39B17-1A70-40A3-83DC-D2C479BB21D8.jpeg

76403F80-0967-47C3-B1CC-F9C5C4FBEF71.jpeg

F4923289-745C-4540-A757-584F4AE71620.jpeg

E5063650-0D89-4FF1-A782-9309876C89B3.jpeg

BCB15CBE-A157-4844-83C1-98FF43F07F55.jpeg

CA79AE32-4779-40F9-8EE8-16DCF6D4854A.jpeg

2A032534-1A89-42F9-A1E3-11AECA85A1E4.jpeg

6CA60C46-5F07-4A10-95AC-03541A56F73A.jpeg

78A340DB-5A16-4F86-8290-8F6078D9C74F.jpeg

7BD982ED-311D-442D-83F8-FB2321A47976.jpeg

3102DE11-BA68-4272-8605-F6C55857F616.jpeg

With the unknown lift and mix of suspension components, I am contemplating a complete control arm kit, new track bar/bars, and sway bars.

What are y’all’s thoughts on this and if you were to do it, what product/vendors would you use? Savvy, Currie, JKS, etc.

I would like to get the suspension to a reliable and easily serviced condition. Mid arm and long arm are not being considered at this time (I cannot weld, want to do all the wrenching and installation myself and with the kids, and need to save resources for further driveline work and interior fixes). The TJ will be a daily highway/city mix. I am all ears and would like to hear personal opinions, likes and dislikes prior to product selection.

The Bilstein 5100s (I have had these on 5 different vehicles with excellent results and no failures) and Rusty’s springs I will leave for now.

Saturday morning mind planning next weekend’s activities. I function in a planning role at work and like to have materials and direction determined prior to engaging.

If there are any additional items, pictures, or information that can be helpful to the conversation, let me know and I can make that happen.

Duly noted on the sway bars. Did some more discovery work today between cutting grass in the rain and sorting out both of the builds I am working on. Another Jeep was picked up. A 1997 XJ yesterday that has rust in the roof and floor boards in the front only. The rest of it is solid with no real issues. It has a 3” lift and the motor has 250k on the clock.

Back to the TJ, I took it for another test drive. Last night night with the Wifey and youngest two (7&8) riding with me, we encountered some more issues. The 4hi did not engage and made the front axle hop until I picked up speed to get it to release. A Savvy shift linkage is on order and more discovery is also being performed. Looking under the TJ today, I noticed that the rear Dana44 wires were cut past the plug and could not find the wires in the harness assembly. It appears that all the wiring comes down th driver side. Is also noticed that the driver front brake line is bent about 120 degrees and the line is trying to fold over on itself.

The more I look into the functional operations, the more it looks like a work in progress versus a quick repair. This is ok with me because I always need something to work through.

Short recap is, research where the rear locker wires are routed. Item 2 is why is the front axle binding and not able to engage? Item 3 is decide on which control arms, sway bars, and transmission mount to install. I will stop there for the moment. More items will be coming I’m sure. Saturday night thoughts to sort out. Savvy 4 wheel linkage in the cart now. Might need to add the co trip arms and a Currie steering linkage. What do y’all think? Are there better choices to incorporate into the build?

Hopefully you don't have two different gear ratios in your axles.

I swapped rubi axles into a 97 and used a regulator and arb solenoids/compressor and a pop off valve to run them. If the rubi lockers fail i can easily swap arbs in one at a time

I checked the ratios last night. It appears they are stock ratios. I was hoping for much more than that. 4.11 it is verified by field testing. I assume nothing on this build and am happy to do the discovery work. I know without doubt that a challenge is in front of me.

Did a little work this evening after some parts arrived. Lower rear control arm (Rough Country matched the eye to eye and bushing type) changed and swapped the belly pan transmission bushing (Energy Suspensions). The clunk on clutch engagement is now gone and onto the next mechanical issue/issues.

Out on the road, the rear end was still walking around on acceleration. JKS adjustable rear sway bar will be picked up tomorrow and installed.

Also the TJ pulls a little to the left so I will check the handling after rear sway bar install and check the front end alignment. Only question I have is how to do a driveway check down of caster because the front end has adjustable lower and upper control arms. Thinking I need to buy a caster/camber angle finder (or do it with a plumb Bob, string, and protractor. Who knows maybe there is an app for that on an iPhone now. More research before the next phase.

Also when down shifting there is a grind when shifting into gear and still completely on the clutch. The reservoir looks new so I will need to sort that out as well.

Here is a quick update on the mechanical phase. 2 tie rod ends, 2 rear lower control arms, 1 adjustable rear track bar, some M12 and M14 bolts and nuts (front and rear control arms and rear track bar) to replace mismatched size standard bolts, and a trip to the local shop to get things setup took place this week. Also, a Savvy shift cable for the transfer case arrived and was installed and adjusted. 4 Lo was not used since the transfer case drop happened from the previous owner.

Tomorrow lockers front and rear will get checked, 3rd brake light install will begin, and investigation into wheel hop/binding in 4wd hi at low speed going straight will start. Running 35s, gears Might be in order quickly.

Wednesday evening the driver seat will get a foam replacement. When the Bartact seat covers arrive, the seating should be much better.

Does anyone have experience with RockSlide Engineering electric steps/rockers?

2CA340E1-8B36-4770-B7D6-A3119F65A303.jpeg

B3EFF3D2-9D6B-471E-A2AF-CB098A961C75.jpeg

D842390A-2A67-4FB0-A815-89F45A24F3AD.jpeg

Last month was a plan and schedule kind of month. In that time, many things were accomplished.

Third brake light install (to get street legal), rear ARB locker with 4.88 gear set to match the front factory locker with 4.88 gears, double din Pioneer 2660 NEX install, rear view camera (not sure if I like the wire routing yet and might modify) and ARB twin compressor install under the driver seat (not fold and tumble). This has taken the better part of a day and it is still ongoing. The locker and compressor switches will be installed on a plate that will replace the front coin holder insert on the center console along with 2 USB charging ports and a voltage gauge.

One of the factory cigarette lighter plugs was swapped to install a USB plug that is direct connect to the back of the Pioneer for Apple CarPlay.

6C50FB27-C1C3-48C5-A48D-8C76E6EDC72C.jpeg

188D0DB2-B303-4D57-ACC7-945B689B799D.jpeg