Project Shoestring: a overland TJ build

TJDon

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys! My name is Don. Live in Galt CA

It’s great that there is this forum specific to TJ’s only!

Been lurking for a while here on the forum and decided to share my build

I picked up this 2002 “X” last September with intentions of building it up for my daughter to eventually drive to high school. Now I don’t want it out of my sight [emoji23]

When I brought it home it had the rack, tore up soft top, wore out smittybilt 8k winch and clapped 33’s with a 4” procomp lift.
Over the last year I’ve been making it more mine with extreme budget in mind. So far I’ve been pretty lucky finding deals and having friends in the Jeep business world.

First pic is of it the day I bought it

e0b88b9e19cd4b3cbb1567f12926e25d.jpg

This is how she sits today
Metalcloak front and rear bumpers with tire swing out, Metalcloak rockers, BFG 35’s, smittybilt RTT and a few other things
164e8cb8064b41d4c96627c81d0f5777.jpg

We’ve only taken it out camping one time. My daughter keeps us really busy with travel softball
6c070b6b68484ab3b588568acb995dfa.jpg

f9bc88f74c850b85d11c9bac11211f5b.jpg

I look forward to more trips hopefully soon with it and making memories with my daughter adventuring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! My name is Don. Live in Galt CA

It’s great that there is this forum specific to TJ’s only!

Been lurking for a while here on the forum and decided to share my build

I picked up this 2002 “X” last September with intentions of building it up for my daughter to eventually drive to high school. Now I don’t want it out of my sight [emoji23]

When I brought it home it had the rack, tore up soft top, wore out smittybilt 8k winch and clapped 33’s with a 4” procomp lift.
Over the last year I’ve been making it more mine with extreme budget in mind. So far I’ve been pretty lucky finding deals and having friends in the Jeep business world.

First pic is of it the day I bought it

View attachment 61280

This is how she sits today
Metalcloak front and rear bumpers with tire swing out, Metalcloak rockers, BFG 35’s, smittybilt RTT and a few other things
View attachment 61281

We’ve only taken it out camping one time. My daughter keeps us really busy with travel softball
View attachment 61282
View attachment 61283

I look forward to more trips hopefully soon with it and making memories with my daughter adventuring

Nice set-up! And welcome to the group!

Reactions: TJDon
Is that a Garvin Industries Roof rack? Been looking to get one for my TJ so I can add a rooftop tent. Has it been able to hold up to the weight/being rust free?

Yes it’s a garvin rack. I guess one of the good things about California is, rust isn’t much of an issue. I can’t give much feedback about that
And it’s pretty sturdy. I’m not worried about the tent and a bit more weight on it.

Reactions: Emilio Chavez
That thing looks great, nice work! My son played travel baseball until high school, once he was done I got lost for a minute because it takes up all of your free time. Enjoy or because you’ll miss it one day.

That thing looks great, nice work! My son played travel baseball until high school, once he was done I got lost for a minute because it takes up all of your free time. Enjoy or because you’ll miss it one day.

Thanks!
And I wouldn’t trade it for anything else in the world.

That's a cool tailgate shelf! Tell us more about the lift. Plans to re-gear with those 35's?

That's a cool tailgate shelf! Tell us more about the lift. Plans to re-gear with those 35's?

The shelf is killer. Amazon has either a single or this double shelf. I opted for more usable space
Rock Slide Engineering AC-TB-100-JTY Tailgate Table https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018H7GT1Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

As far as axles and gears. As I promised myself to keep the build as cheap as possible. Hence the name “shoestring”
I scored BIG TIME with the diffs

The Jeep has the crappy 30,35 and I had been running around on the stock 3.73 gears. Rarely was I able to find 5th gear
A friend of mine was upgrading his LJ to rubicon diffs and installing a Metalcloak lift kit. For helping him with the install, he gave me his rear Dana 44 with disc brakes.
We all know how hard it is to find a front dana44 for our rigs. Out of absolutely dumb luck, a guy on Facebook marketplace was selling a rubicon front empty housing. After messaging back and forth I picked it up for $150!!! I installed 4.88’s with limited slip carriers both front and rear (because they were free [emoji16]) and I had to buy one front shaft while my friend gave me the other side
All in all cost wise. I have about $500 wrapped up in front and rear axles. And nice to have rear disc brakes too

Weak fuses removed!
9fc6dbc509d50e0cdd2853a9bb858c83.jpg

Heavier duty Dana 44 fuses installed! It’s just a ARB cover, it was free also lol
fec09d7ab80f18f6201519758ea9bc0e.jpg
e9149dc4295b9f1334c2667513242816.jpg

How extensive did you get while cleaning them up to get them shiny and black?

The diffs? Pressure washer and semi gloss paint
Cali doesn’t have a rust problem much

Reactions: tomtaylz
Nice to see more Overlanding TJ's! Garvin makes one of the best roof racks out there, right next to Gobi. How you liking the SB RTT? I've heard decent things on that one but i'm always curious to know how they hold up long term.

Looks good man and welcome!

Wow dude, nice score on the 44's. Now you gotta get rid of that spindly tie rod. It ain't gonna last long on 35's. The ZJ tie rod conversion is a great upgrade for a few bucks.

Reactions: TJDon
Nice to see more Overlanding TJ's! Garvin makes one of the best roof racks out there, right next to Gobi. How you liking the SB RTT? I've heard decent things on that one but i'm always curious to know how they hold up long term.

Looks good man and welcome!

The one night we stayed in it. I couldn’t wait for morning. The mattress pad is horrible! I did wind up ordering a thin blow up mattress for next time until I can figure out a better solution.
The tent itself is great so far. I just need to get out and use it more

Wow dude, nice score on the 44's. Now you gotta get rid of that spindly tie rod. It ain't gonna last long on 35's. The ZJ tie rod conversion is a great upgrade for a few bucks.

Definitely! I’m leaning towards the Currie correct link. It’s just money right? [emoji23]

What are some innovative ways you guys have come up with storage solutions?
I have the smittybilt seat cover deals with the bags that are snapped on the back of the seats.
Looking for ideas that you all have seen or come up with

0474d83caaa3942f86205b58a9b47579.jpg

Installed a RAM floor mount for my tablet so I can view GPS Gaia app or any other mapping app
I don’t think I’m that thrilled with the mount though. Wiggles a lot while driving. I either need to find another way to keep the long mount bar steady or figure out another mounting option for the tablet
292e94758327830b5821ac093466a96f.jpg

Today’s project is wire in this power supply somewhere
9e6c8112512d8352c023442b1f16eee1.jpg