Proper way to hook up the stock transfer case linkage?

Folks,

I recently replaced the clutch in my 01 Sport. All I have left to do is hook the transcase linkage back up, and put the skid plate on. I can't seem to get the linkage hooked up properly. It keeps binding? Can't seem to find a step by step video or write up on it. Thanks for the help in advance.

Thanks for that post, but adjustment isn't my problem. I can't even seem to get the linkage that connects to the transmission at the green washer in the proper position. I need the proper way to hook the linkage together. Does the handle need to be in a certain position to hook it up correctly? Sadly a cable shifter is not in the budget at this time. This is my daily driver, so I need to get it back on the road as soon as possible.

There is a set-bolt that allows the linkage to be adjusted. Have you tried loosening that and installing, then adjusting again?

1535556392131521482714.jpg

Yeah I knew about the adjustment bolt, but that was not my problem. I think I figured out how to hook it up, so it's back together now at least. Now this is where I need the adjustment, but my bolt, and rod are so badly rusted I don't think I'll be able to get it to budge. It's in 2L now so I'm just going to button up the skid plate so I can at least drive it for. I'll try to trouble shoot the 4 wheel drive before winter hits. Thanks guys.

Yeah I knew about the adjustment bolt, but that was not my problem. I think I figured out how to hook it up, so it's back together now at least. Now this is where I need the adjustment, but my bolt, and rod are so badly rusted I don't think I'll be able to get it to budge. It's in 2L now so I'm just going to button up the skid plate so I can at least drive it for. I'll try to trouble shoot the 4 wheel drive before winter hits. Thanks guys.
Spray the bolt threads with either Kroil or Liquid wrench several times over a couple days, give it time to work. I'm betting the bolt will loosen up. Don't waste your time with WD-40 or Break-Free, neither are effective at that job.

If the Kroil or Liquid Wrench don't do the trick, get the bolt super hot... verging on red-hot, and try it then. Like with a torch. Sufficient heat normally does the trick when a good penetrant like Kroil or Liquid Wrench isn't enough.

Jerry has great advice.

Seriously , if that Jeep's gonna stay in your corral , spend the money on the cable ... especially if you use 4 hi and low a lot. The linkage works , but it's vague and prone to needing adjustment ...and gets worse if you lift the vehicle . Schematics are out there for it I bet . Hang in there .

Shoot I gave away two 231 tcase linkages, had this been a few months earlier I would have sent them to you.

Jerry has great advice.

Seriously , if that Jeep's gonna stay in your corral , spend the money on the cable ... especially if you use 4 hi and low a lot. The linkage works , but it's vague and prone to needing adjustment ...and gets worse if you lift the vehicle . Schematics are out there for it I bet . Hang in there .

I second that, just installed the Savvy cable... jeep has never shifted into 4L so smoothly. Easy install too.

Reactions: L J