Pros & Cons: Extended / Wider Wheel Base vs. Standard Wheel Base

Stef

I’m considering doing something like this down the line & curious as to what are some advantages of having a wider wheel base? I don’t like feeling like I’m gonna tip over on turns, but I also love the tight turn radius I have.

What do you guys think?

Reactions: JMT
A wider wheelbase will give more stability. However, I wouldn’t worry about my TJ tipping over off-road. They can lean way, way over and be fine, even when lifted substantially.

When onroad I wouldn’t take corners fast. It’s a TJ and not made for fast cornering. Prior Jeep’s were known to tip over and that reputation persists, but our TJ’s don’t tip as easily. They are pretty stable vehicles.

Ultimately, widening the wheelbase with a smaller backspaced wheel, 3.75-4”, would only help add more stability. Plus, I think it looks better, up to a point.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Stef
A wider wheelbase will give more stability. However, I wouldn’t worry about my TJ tipping over off-road. They can lean way, way over and be fine, even when lifted substantially.

When onroad I wouldn’t take corners fast. It’s a TJ and not made for fast cornering. Prior Jeep’s were known to tip over and that reputation persists, but our TJ’s don’t tip as easily. They are pretty stable vehicles.

Ultimately, widening the wheelbase with a smaller backspaced wheel, 3.75-4”, would only help add more stability. Plus, I think it looks better, up to a point.
Will it affect the turn radius?

Will it affect the turn radius?
Only by 1/2 of the additional inches you extend your tire including changes in backspacing, i.e. very minimally. You won't notice.

I think all of of have a wider wheel base than stock. I've got 12.5" wide tires, plus 1.25" wheel spacers, so much wider than stock. No disadvantages in my book, other than maybe you won't be able to fit in the same parking spots you did before. :D

Reactions: JMT
I think all of of have a wider wheel base than stock. I've got 12.5" wide tires, plus 1.25" wheel spacers, so much wider than stock. No disadvantages in my book, other than maybe you won't be able to fit in the same parking spots you did before. :D
So to widen the wheel base all I need is spacers?

If I where to widen the width and lengthen the wheelbase, there would be things other than stability driving that decision.

So to widen the wheel base all I need is spacers?

You could do it with spacers, wider tires, or a combination of both.

And I guess if you wanted to spend big money, you could do it with full width axles.

Reactions: Stef
Basically, the functional reason to add width is to make room for the tires at full steering lock and/or at full flex. Spacers are no different than backspacing. An effective backspacing of 3.5" is about as far out as you want to push the wheels out. More than that and you are putting a lot of stress on the bearings, ball joints and steering geometry. At that point, you better be looking at wider axles. This is one of many reasons why 35s are considered a reasonable maximum for stock axles.

I don't believe stability is a real concern. I put wheel spacers on mine to make room for some extensive rear shock mount modifications. Otherwise, the inner sidewalls would scrape the new shocks and mounts as the suspension moves. The incidental benefit was that I was able to remove the steering stop washers that I added years ago.