PSA don't experiment on Thanksgiving

I don't blame this poor woman - but I hope she then proceeded to chew out the idiot who couldn't turn hir smartphone sideways! We're going out for TG.

Reactions: tr21triton
We're going to a small campground on the Oregon coast for five days. It's very out of the way and tucked between steep timber and a small saltwater bay. Potentially, we'll be having blue grouse breasts, dungeness crab, red rock crab, and red fin surf perch if my skill and luck holds out. And the weather cooperates. It'll be more mundane fare otherwise.

20231115_140016.jpg

I know my wife would agree. She is an excellent cook and has many cooks in the family. We went to her cousins house for Thanksgiving two years ago and there wasn't any mashed potatoes. Someone had bought some scalloped potatoes at a store and brought them, they weren't very good. So my wife was a bit pissed about that. She would've made some and brought them if she had known. Said if it was her immediate family, someone would've gotten chewed out.

My mom was not a good cook. So we often had 'similar but different' things on Thanksgiving. So as long as I get a hot meal that is decent, I'm ok. We went to my parents house a few years ago for Thanksgiving. Of course, my moms meal did not meet my wife's standards. She's very particular, but hard to argue when she can cook things well.

Required items for Thanksgiving:
Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, wine, pumpkin pie (I may be missing one or two).

It's ok to provide other things like ham (love honey baked), mac & cheese, creamed corn, or other desserts. Though no substitutes for the items above or you have failed at Thanksgiving.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd
Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, dinner rolls, wine, pumpkin pie (I may be missing one or two).

It's ok to provide other things like ham (love honey baked), mac & cheese, creamed corn, or other desserts. Though no substitutes for the items above or you have failed at Thanksgiving.

We have grown tired of turkey at my house. It's good until it isn't.

We will be doing a double smoked ham this year, way more flavor than a turkey.

It doesn't take much to get tired of a dry, flavorless meat does it?

I see you understand. I can cook it to where it's not dry and the first bites have plenty of flavor. I've brined, I've injected, I've fried, I've smoked.

But a good ham smoked and glazed is the way to go.

I also considered a brisket but I think we will do that this weekend.

Reactions: DEValken and P man
I know my wife would agree. She is an excellent cook and has many cooks in the family. We went to her cousins house for Thanksgiving two years ago and there wasn't any mashed potatoes. Someone had bought some scalloped potatoes at a store and brought them, they weren't very good. So my wife was a bit pissed about that. She would've made some and brought them if she had known. Said if it was her immediate family, someone would've gotten chewed out.

My mom was not a good cook. So we often had 'similar but different' things on Thanksgiving. So as long as I get a hot meal that is decent, I'm ok. We went to my parents house a few years ago for Thanksgiving. Of course, my moms meal did not meet my wife's standards. She's very particular, but hard to argue when she can cook things well.

I think the real issue is some people take pride in what they do and others don't care about people, only themselves. Other people are just plain lazy. My wife is just like your wife. She cares and she puts time, effort and money into making good food. She doesn't just go over to WalMart and buy some cookies in a box. 🙄 She'll make homemade. She has 5 kids, me, a job, teaches homeschool, takes care of the finances, and the house, and so it's not like she has a lot of free time, but she thinks enough about other people to go the extra mile to make things nice and good because she wants everyone to enjoy themselves.

We've experienced the lack of reciprocity from people outside our family, but usually our family is like us. I wish people took more pride in what they made/did because that's a sign of excellence and caring about what you do, and it reflects your character. My .02c.

I think we always have Turkey for Thanksgiving, but we ditched it for Christmas and usually have BBQ or Ham.

I think the real issue is some people take pride in what they do and others don't care about people, only themselves. Other people are just plain lazy. My wife is just like your wife. She cares and she puts time, effort and money into making good food. She doesn't just go over to WalMart and buy some cookies in a box. 🙄 She'll make homemade. She has 5 kids, me, a job, teaches homeschool, takes care of the finances, and the house, and so it's not like she has a lot of free time, but she thinks enough about other people to go the extra mile to make things nice and good because she wants everyone to enjoy themselves.

We've experienced the lack of reciprocity from people outside our family, but usually our family is like us. I wish people took more pride in what they made/did because that's a sign of excellence and caring about what you do, and it reflects your character. My .02c.

I'd always prefer homemade but you can get a giant pumpkin pie at Costco for $5.99 ready to eat.

• Haha
Reactions: JMT

This exactly. I love my sweets and will eat a store bought cookie or cake. I've been told by my wife multiple times not to bring that garbage home or she'll throw it out.

When she makes pizza, she makes her own crust, sauce, etc. I grew up with spaghetti sauce from a jar. The first time I saw her making her own sauce, I just didn't really know that was a thing unless you're running a restaurant.

Reactions: JMT
So, what's Thanksgiving about? It could be reasonably assumed that it's about giving thanks, from the name.

I came from a pretty well to do family. Lots of food of the best kinds on the table. Prepared with skill by good, experienced cooks. Quality ingredients. Great variety.

Through circumstances and hard choices, I'm not well to do. I get buy. I can look myself in the eye every morning when I shave. I can cook, and bake. I shop at Costco, Fred Meyer's, and Winco, sometimes at Walmart. I make a feast out of everything I have, and share it with whomever is there.

I am thankful.

My two bits worth.

We have grown tired of turkey at my house. It's good until it isn't.

We will be doing a double smoked ham this year, way more flavor than a turkey.

That's the beauty of going out to eat. Everybody gets what they want. I really don't care for turkey - and TG really isn't my holiday - so I can have ham or whatever else catches my fancy at the restaurant. I think I had Fettuccine last year...

Reactions: suicideking