PSC Gearbox Install

Grant Lasson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I recently removed my OffRoad Only U-Turn crossover steering and installed the Currie CurrectLync. The dead spot in my steering seems smaller and the bump steer seems somewhat less but it is still there. I have the PSC hydro assist system and I'm beginning to plan that install.

The gearbox I received doesn't look the same as the PSC web site in that there are only three bosses for bolts and not four. I called PSC and was assured that you only ever use 3 and that the 4th wasn't necessary or desirable.

I'm using the Jeep as a DD right now so I want to be sure that when I break the current system down that I have a ready replacement.

So, I'm looking for confirmation before I proceed. Am I installing the correct gearbox for a '04 TJ?

Thanks.

PSC Gearbox 2004 TJ.jpg

Go back to a dropped pitman or get rid of the dropped trackbar mount. You have bumpsteer, a fair bit of it and you won't get rid of it until they match.
I'm a fan of simple and elegant so I'm inclined to get rid of the drop track bar mount rather than adding a dropped pitman in addition to the dropped track bar mount.

Is that what you would do?

In that case, I will need to replace the track bar. Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks.

I'm a fan of simple and elegant so I'm inclined to get rid of the drop track bar mount rather than adding a dropped pitman in addition to the dropped track bar mount.

Is that what you would do?

In that case, I will need to replace the track bar. Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks.
I would get rid of the dropped mount but I like up travel so that's why I do it. I use Rock Jock 4x4.

Reactions: Grant Lasson
Ordered the RockJock CE-9120TJJ on Thursday and elected free shipping expecting to receive it sometime between March 19 (one week later) and March 24 (12 days later). It came on Saturday (two days later) which I was mighty happy about.

I installed it right away. Hopefully my steering and travel geometry looks better now to the experienced eye.

I did drive it 15-20 miles or so but couldn't tell too much because my front end has developed a marked "hop" at around 70 miles an hour. That's new and very unwelcome.

20200315_143945.jpg

20200315_143917.jpg

20200315_144003.jpg

I completed "phase 1" of the PSC install. I had planned to just install the gearbox but had to install the reservoir as well because I didn't buy a '97-'02 return line and there was just no way to make the '04 line work. Overall it is a tight fit and took quite a bit of time getting things either removed or in the right place to fit.

I don't have a body lift and I guess that makes it easier. My Jeep's high enough now--I don't want it any higher. I ended up feeding the return line up behind the headlight and then back into the engine compartment. There are a few edges so I wrapped it in spiral wrap. While it took awhile, I'm pleased with the install overall.

I didn't install the hydraulic assist cylinder as I've got to fabricate at least one connecting point to the axle. Also, I wanted to keep it simple for a little while in case there were problems.
20200330_160548.jpg
20200330_160615.jpg
20200330_160702.jpg
20200328_110434.jpg

20200328_102636.jpg

Last edited:
Your belt doesn't look like it's on correctly.

Also what clamps are you using on the hoses?
I'll check the belt routing.

PSC sent hose clamps. Those are constant pressure clamps. Got them at a hydraulics shop.

They're not very tight. The guy at the hydraulics shop said that the connectors would cut the hose if tightened too much.

I'll check the belt routing.

PSC sent hose clamps. Those are constant pressure clamps. Got them at a hydraulics shop.

They're not very tight. The guy at the hydraulics shop said that the connectors would cut the hose if tightened too much.

Blaine would know better than I would of what hoses and fittings PSC is shipping these days. But those look like Aeroquip socketless fittings which don't require a clamp.

How did this project turn out? I'm in the middle of ironing out of my ZF gearbox on the rubi is toast. I have play when I remove my drag link and rotate the pitman arm by hand. Just a little play but enough to justify that this is where my steering wheel play is coming from.

Also there was mentions of some 70mph "marked hop" what is that exactly?

Blaine would know better than I would of what hoses and fittings PSC is shipping these days. But those look like Aeroquip socketless fittings which don't require a clamp.
PSC is aware they do not require a clamp but they are shipping clamps with all the kits due to some of the hose lengths that have on occasion let in air.

Reactions: Wildman