PSC hydro ram not going in when turning right

Nick21

Savvy Bumper Club
Supporting Member
I'm having an issue where my the ram is not going back in when turning right, how do I go about determining if it's because of the ram or the steering gear?

I am using the PSC big bore kit and BMB bolt on kit. Both are less than 6 months old

Is the steering binding up altogether? If the ran is properly attached, if it doesn't retract you shouldn't even be able to turn the wheel.

Alternatively, is the drag link clamp loose? Any evidence that it has slipped? If so repeat the centering procedure and re-torque the bolts.

More information,

I have been using this fine for the last few months, however after a wheeling trip last weekend I could hear clicking/grinding when moving the steering wheel.

At first I jacked it up into the air and moved the steering wheel (no noise). I then lowered it back down and tried again. Again there was noice.

I then removed the pitman arm from the steering gear, and let's when I noticed that the ram did not suck in when going right.

How do I identify If this is in issue with the ram or thr gear?

Upon further investigation it appears to be the steering gear that went out, ill have to call PSC and see if it's fixable, it's rather annoying that a practically brand new box is bad

In order for the ram to move, there has to be pressure on the steering wheel in either direction. Merely turning the wheel will not move the ram. It might gave a lower threshold of pressure for extension due to the effects of the piston, but that should be minimal.

If you take the pitman arm and jam it from moving and then attempt to turn the wheel with force, the ram should move.

Power steering systems are proportional to torque on the steering wheel. The larger the torque in the wheel, the greater the assist pressure. They do not measure steering angle.