PSC steering gear

someguysjeep

simple guy
Lifetime Supporting Member
so i guess i got this POS Mercedes steering gear box.
if i upgrade to new equip from PSC , am i getting a different gear box? will it replace the M- gear with a Saginaw? or will they supply a beefed up M-gear with hydro ports?

bottom line is the gear they would supply will not change the location of the present pitman connection point?

i did try to find this info but didn't have much luck.
thx.

I have the PSC big bore box. It is in fact a Saginaw box similar to the 97-02 style with the 03-06 bolt pattern. It also has a somewhat larger internal piston than the 97-02 which gives it a bit more turning force.

The pitman arm is in the same location. The box is longer, so you'll have to collapse the lower steering shaft a bit. Alternatively, you can simply install a 97-02 lower steering shaft, which fits with no modifications. A 97-02 feed line will also make the box easier to install.

It has the ports for hydro assist and caps, so it can be run with and without. With the hydro assist, it feels like having modern factory steering even with 35s.

Reactions: L J
I just recently put in a PSC on my 97 TJ. Bolted right up with very little effort. No modifications need on my part. I do not have Hydro assist and it turns my 35's with ease. Probably the best thing I have ever done to a Jeep.

As was said, the PSC box is an upgrade worth doing. Here's a picture of both the Mercedes and PSC box. The install isn't difficult, but care does need to be taken to properly plumb and prime the system. Also Blaine provided some invaluable advice when installing the system. There was a thread on this, which basically says take care to have:
  • -12AN feed line to the pump
  • -8AN return line
  • -8AN 16" Single Pass heat sink cooler
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/anyone-have-experience-with-power-steering-coolers.16975/
vUKnq8U.jpg

Reactions: someguysjeep