PTJSD (Post Traumatic Jeep Sale Disorder)

Jeepers-n-Creepers

Have mud--will travel.
Supporting Member
Howdy Y'all,

Its been a long while since I've been on the Forum, namely because of having sold my beloved "Nellie Belle" (TJ) early in the Summer :cry:.

It was as the months ticked by that I realized I was suffering from PTJSD, a condition that I may submit to the APA for consideration of inclusion in the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

For the last 20 yeas I have always owned at least 1 aggressive (modded) 4x4, the last 2 of which were Jeeps (a WJ and a TJ). I presently own a pickup with a small lift and some A/T's, which will get me into the country, but certainly is not suited for crawling and deep woods wheeling.

I had to trade the TJ for a much-needed pickup. I had sold my previous pickup, and had fluid use of my company pickup--until I left the company, this Summer, whereupon I sorely needed a pickup once again.

And so, Nellie Bellie went into the arms of a fine Texas State Trooper, who's former pickup I now have. It was a fair trade, and we both needed/wanted the vehicles.

However, my countenance has fallen, and though the weather is presently fine out, I find the sky wanting; my appetite has waned; the post unduly collects at my doorstep; I am not shaving as often; my guitars are collecting dust; the sparkle in my eyes has become dull; I look down at my feet as I walk; I can't remember when I last combed my hair; I no longer coordinate my attire; I'm eating junk food; my cats stare into my eyes--knowing something is wrong; and I no longer answer the door :cry:.

Even worse; I see that @JMT has moved out yonder way, to Washington, where they ride unicorns, eat mushrooms, fling pixy dust, envision leprechauns in the woods, and talk to moon bats (;)).

Would that my sense of purpose, life-vision, existential mission and sustenance once again meet with life, as I look to finding another TJ; for just as hope deferred truly makes the heart sick, equally so TJ deferred casts one's countenance into a posture of terminal shoe gaze :(.

Thank you in advance for your collective empathy.

Last edited:
I would look at this as an opportunity to find a new project TJ and begin building it to fill in the gaps that your previous rides had. Since you have a primary driver, you could take your time with the TJ and make it exactly as you want it. :unsure:

I would look at this as an opportunity to find a new project TJ and begin building it to fill in the gaps that your previous rides had. Since you have a primary driver, you could take your time with the TJ and make it exactly as you want it. :unsure:

Thank you for the encouragement :). I've been thinking the same.

"Nellie Belle" (pictured in my profile) was my '04, which I built over a period of 6 years, and had her very close to the finished product. The very final (pending) mod was that of a Browning M2 on the top, anchored by some auxiliary cross-member tubing, and a turret. I'll have to defer the Browning M2 mod for the next TJ.

Go Navy!

COMPHIBRON EIGHT EMBLEM.jpg

Howdy Y'all,

Its been a long while since I've been on the Forum, namely because of having sold my beloved "Nellie Belle" (TJ) early in the Summer :cry:.

It was as the months ticked by that I realized I was suffering from PTJSD, a condition that I may submit to the APA for consideration of inclusion in the DSM-V (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders).

For the last 20 yeas I have always owned at least 1 aggressive (modded) 4x4, the last 2 of which were Jeeps (a WJ and a TJ). I presently own a pickup with a small lift and some A/T's, which will get me into the country, but certainly is not suited for crawling and deep woods wheeling.

I had to trade the TJ for a much-needed pickup. I had sold my previous pickup, and had fluid use of my company pickup--until I left the company, this Summer, whereupon I sorely needed a pickup once again.

And so, Nellie Bellie went into the arms of a fine Texas State Trooper, who's former pickup I now have. It was a fair trade, and we both needed/wanted the vehicles.

However, my countenance has fallen, and though the weather is presently fine out, I find the sky wanting; my appetite has waned; the post unduly collects at my doorstep; I am not shaving as often; my guitars are collecting dust; the sparkle in my eyes has become dull; I look down at my feet as I walk; I can't remember when I last combed my hair; I no longer coordinate my attire; I'm eating junk food; my cats stare into my eyes--knowing something is wrong; and I no longer answer the door :cry:.

Even worse; I see that @JMT has moved out yonder way, to Washington, where they ride unicorns, eat mushrooms, fling pixy dust, envision leprechauns in the woods, and talk to moon bats (;)).

Would that my sense of purpose, life-vision, existential mission and sustenance once again met with life, as I look to finding another TJ; for just as hope deferred truly makes the heart sick, equally so TJ deferred casts one's countenance into a posture of terminal shoe gaze :(.

My heartfelt condolences to you and your loved ones. I hope that going forward you can find some peace, respite and removal of your current temporary financial gains, with the future purchase of another beautiful dream and money pit!

Reactions: Jeepers-n-Creepers
Just get another one...
I'm kinda searching for a clean, bone stock one to use as a daily driver.
And keep it as clean/factory as possible as a daily.
Kinda as in if I come across one, sure. But not looking hard

I remember this when I sold my YJ to go back to college and got myself an old Jetta (chivers). Then again when I totaled my 2003 TJ. Got back on another 2003 TJ that was a barn find and in near perfect condition. Sometimes I tell my best friend that if someone offered me $30k I might let it go. I think he knows me better than I know myself because he simply responds "you ain't selling this Jeep even if they offer you more than that." I think for a little bit and say to myself..."he is right."

Yep, I feel you. Shortly after selling my TJ, I began to regret it. Now I'm on the hunt for another one.

Thank you for your empathy, Chris.

Though I realize it is measurably vain and superficial to place even a part of one's identity into a vehicle, I yet have to confess that the TJ symbolizes an ongoing parameter of my life - the ongoing need to trek deep into the woods, and thereafter sit in silence.

Perhaps a "TJ Loss 12-Step Recovery Group" is in order for me?

1575740681297.png

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and IPerkWVU
Thank you for that kind gesture :).

My heartfelt condolences to you and your loved ones. I hope that going forward you can find some peace, respite and removal of your current temporary financial gains, with the future purchase of another beautiful dream and money pit!

Reactions: Rubiblue
Good advice, friend :).

And my kindest regards to all TJ wheelers in the Great Outback.

Albey Mangels is my hero:

1575686307736.png

One of the most courageous wheelers to ever drive a Jeep.

Just get another one...
I'm kinda searching for a clean, bone stock one to use as a daily driver.
And keep it as clean/factory as possible as a daily.
Kinda as in if I come across one, sure. But not looking hard

Reactions: Raymund
OK, now I'm confused, as I was told a little bit ago that the Leprechauns were in Gig Harbor.

No?
Hmmm maybe they're branching out? Starting new clans? I know there's a troll in Ballard..

On topic, I completely empathize with you. My Jeep is the only material object I'm inseparably attached to. I often dream of buying a little trailer, selling everything, and living a nomadic life.

I remember this when I sold my YJ to go back to college and got myself an old Jetta (chivers). Then again when I totaled my 2003 TJ. Got back on another 2003 TJ that was a barn find and in near perfect condition. Sometimes I tell my best friend that if someone offered me $30k I might let it go. I think he knows me better than I know myself because he simply responds "you ain't selling this Jeep even if they offer you more than that." I think for a little bit and say to myself..."he is right."

I hear ya, man. I refused to sell mine outright, as it was to me, worth 3 times what market value suggested. It was much easier, emotionally, to trade it for the truck that I did. And, I couldn't have asked for a better trading partner, a guy of integrity and character.

Reactions: Byhumba and Vasq
Wow, that's a boat load of Jeeps! You've likely had enough adventures in those critters to pen a book - which many herein would likely be inclined to read.

Since I sold, unsold, resold, unsold again, the finally did sell the Rubi last August, Jeep number 13 or 14, I lost count , I cannot say I've regretted seeing her go. I really must have had enough in 30 years of Jeeping.

Hmmm maybe they're branching out? Starting new clans? I know there's a troll in Ballard..

On topic, I completely empathize with you. My Jeep is the only material object I'm inseparably attached to. I often dream of buying a little trailer, selling everything, and living a nomadic life.

BINGO! As long as I owned "Nellie Belle," I gave very serious thought to buying a micro teardrop trailer, and doing some extended "nomadic" treks into deep country. It is foremost in my mind, with my next TJ. The therapy inherent in such adventures is truly priceless.

Howdy Y'all,

Would that my sense of purpose, life-vision, existential mission and sustenance once again met with life, as I look to finding another TJ; for just as hope deferred truly makes the heart sick, equally so TJ deferred casts one's countenance into a posture of terminal shoe gaze :(.

No, there really are leprechauns out here! Miss you D-!