Purpose of mopar end caps

Tj04

TJ Enthusiast
this may sound stupid but what's the point of the mopar end caps? I ripped the jugs off the side last year and never considered filling the side with another pointless plastic part. Is it just solely for those who don't like the look of the open bumper? It sure is easy for me to clean out mud with it open. :)

I assume it's just a filler for those who don't like the look up the holes in the sides? Looks more like a YJ bumper open so I like it. Guess I've never really heard them mentioned much but seen a lot of it on threads in the last week so now I'm curious.

this may sound stupid but what's the point of the mopar end caps? I ripped the jugs off the side last year and never considered filling the side with another pointless plastic part. Is it just solely for those who don't like the look of the open bumper? It sure is easy for me to clean out mud with it open. :)

I assume it's just a filler for those who don't like the look up the holes in the sides? Looks more like a YJ bumper open so I like it. Guess I've never really heard them mentioned much but seen a lot of it on threads in the last week so now I'm curious.
Its basically just to give a clean look if your bumpers never came with anything or if you removed the milk jugs.
Its cool that they exist I think, I happen to love all the options out there for Jeeps.

I think they help maintain more of a factory finish ( stock ) look after you take off the ugly milk jugs. Before I installed the end caps on my front bumper I followed the lines and cut 1.5" of both ends.

X2. It's just to add that "finished" look. Nothing other than that in all honesty. They look better than the ugly factory milk jugs.

Reactions: Starrs
It reminds me of the JK 10A bumper. You can remove the end caps to give more tire clearance when needed but have a full width bumper for the protection on the street. Yes yes I know a plastic milk jug will not provide a lot of protection but it's not like the bumperettes on the CJ's and YJ's really did anything either. The milk jug and plastic fender may help against a shopping card to protect the fender sheet metal lol. It's a light weight way to have a full width bumper when you want and more clearance when you need it.

I personally like these end caps because the plastic actually covers the sharp edges of the bumper. Whether you chopped the factory bumper or not it's much safer to have these or the milk jugs on if you have a two year old running around. And seriously. Why not for only $9 or even free milk jugs lol. You can always remove them fairly easily to clean out that mud you are toting around lol.
IMG_6030.PNG

It reminds me of the JK 10A bumper. You can remove the end caps to give more tire clearance when needed but have a full width bumper for the protection on the street. Yes yes I know a plastic milk jug will not provide a lot of protection but it's not like the bumperettes on the CJ's and YJ's really did anything either. The milk jug and plastic fender may help against a shopping card to protect the fender sheet metal lol. It's a light weight way to have a full width bumper when you want and more clearance when you need it.

I personally like these end caps because the plastic actually covers the sharp edges of the bumper. Whether you chopped the factory bumper or not it's much safer to have these or the milk jugs on if you have a two year old running around. And seriously. Why not for only $9 or even free milk jugs lol. You can always remove them fairly easily to clean out that mud you are toting around lol. View attachment 21470
Haha totally get covering sharp edges of you have a kid. I figured it was mainly for looks I just was curious. All that everyone said makes sense. I must be the minority that prefers it to look "unsightly"

That's dumb! Is there an easy way to find a list of states that mandate that sort of thing?

I only found that on the NJ DMV page when I was looking up the regs on overhead light bars...which in NJ have to be covered when on the road, which one of my jeep club members told me, and I had to see the for myself

I personally like these end caps because the plastic actually covers the sharp edges of the bumper. Whether you chopped the factory bumper or not it's much safer to have these or the milk jugs on if you have a two year old running around. And seriously. Why not for only $9 or even free milk jugs lol. You can always remove them fairly easily to clean out that mud you are toting around lol. View attachment 21470
Can you post that link, I thought those looked dumb when you first posted them but I keep coming back to look at them and I need them on mine

Can you post that link, I thought those looked dumb when you first posted them but I keep coming back to look at them and I need them on mine
I bought mine off ebay. I think I paid $21.00 + free shipping for all four. Looks like there a little cheaper now. Rears are $8.55 and free ship. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=352123085850
and fronts are $9.80 and free ship. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=352123068863

Reactions: Zach Jones
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I didn't know you can remove the end caps on the Jk 10a bumper. I've talked to guys with them and they seemed to have no idea either. That's actually pretty neat. Sure looks better than the stock JK bumper - Hideous.

They're plastic. I don't expect much from them other than to look good..
That's really the only thing you should expect from plastic. It's intention is to finish off the bumper so your not stuck with 2 openings when you remove the faded hideous plastic jugs that jeep decided to stick on the front and rear bumpers. One of the cheapest mods you can do...not sure why this is such a large issue of debate lol. Spend 20 bucks or don't.

Yeah seems I answered my own question in my first post. I just wanted to know why people liked them as I didn't understand the point. I don't expect to be able to gain 100hp with them or that it adds structural integrity or something. I just wanted to know why anyone would bother with them and I got some great insight from others that changed my view of them. Obviously they have no function. I worded my title wrong by using the word "purpose".

Reactions: Starrs
Yeah seems I answered my own question in my first post. I just wanted to know why people liked them as I didn't understand the point. I don't expect to be able to gain 100hp with them or anything stupid. I just wanted to know why anyone would bother with them and I got some great insight from others that changed my view of them. Obviously they have no function. I worded my title wrong by using the word "purpose".
They honestly do look better with them on, and it's a factory fit. Should have came off the line like tha.

My guess is Jeep had to come up with a way to meet federal safety standards with their current bumper design, and the milk jugs were the cheapest way to fulfill that standard without having to completely re-design the bumpers. True jeep enthusiasts love being able to change up shit by simply unbolting the crap and replacing it with not so ugly crap.