Quadratec 2.5" Lift Kit Question

pro-tour69

Hello Group,

First time Jeep owner as of a month ago and first post. Bought a stock '97 Sahara from Alabama with a 100k miles and one of the first mods doing is a lift kit. So far, here is the status.

Front done and working on the rear.
- Rear springs in
- Upper control arm knock outs on axle brackets done and re-tightened in the middle or as close to stock location as I could get
- Lower track bar re-location bracket mounted to axle

I ended up taking the track bar out completely to get it out of the way while doing all the other work and now I am at a point to re-install it and can't get it to line up (see included pic)

I assume something needs to be adjusted but not sure what to bring the track bar back into alignment to be able to install it. One guess is I need to bring the drivers side of the axle forward but have no idea what that will do to driveability or if that is needed to fix an impending driveability problem. Installation instructions are marginal at best.

Basically at a loss on what to do.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it is a daily driver and the weekend is quickly going by.

Thank you in advance,

Scott IMG-1765.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After you installed the suspension lift (taller springs) your factory track bar became too short for your lift height. What you need to do is either install a trackbar relocation bracket, which adds length to it, or (better) an adjustable length track bar.

Basically with an aftermarket track bar, you check to see that the body is centered over the axle and then adjust the length of the aftermarket trackbar until it easily bolts in. If the body is not centered over the axle, which is when the tires protrude out from the fenders equally on both sides, you can use a ratchet strap from the frame to the axle to pull it over so it's centered.

And a big welcome to WTF!!! :)

Right, use a ratchet strap (best), or chain with pry bar. something to pull your axle so the bar fits in the mount. And then check to see if the axle is centered under your Jeep. Look at tire stickout from fenders. Should be equal. Or drop plum from frame to axle and check same place on both side.

The kit came with a re-location bracket so thinking something is not aligned at this point. With the re-location bracket installed, the issue doesn't look to be length, but fore/aft alignment. I can get either side in by itself but can't do both.

Before pulling the axle, I assume I need to loosen the upper control arm bolts to the axle right? Otherwise, nothing will move. Should I do both or just the driver side?

Thanks again for the help and hearty welcome Jerry.

Jeep frame on jack stands, axle free to move but on movable floor jack. Tie strap on driver side axle and other end on pass frame. TIghten up strap while raising or lowering jack so axle can move and help position bar into mount. Should not need to do anything with control arms, they will swing side to side some. Takes some jockying sp? to get in, may help to have wife/GF or friend help. Roger !!

ok, so i decided to put the tires on and put it on the ground for the heck of it and was able to get the bolt all the way through the re-location bracket but the track bar is twisted and I can only get the bolt on the other end half way through before it hits the other side of the frame bracket (see image). The bar also is rubbing against the gas tank skid plate. UGH!!!!!

TNJEEPGuy, how far up the pass side frame rail should I go to attach the other end of the strap?

IMG-1766.jpg

Take wheels off. Have to have the axle free to move in relation to the frame. May have to loosen up relocation bracket, but it will fit. May have to get an adjustable track bar, but should work with this one unless something is bent. Not all that likely ?? Strap has to pull straight so keep in line as best you can. The springs in the first pic seem to be pretty hefty, sure it is 2.5 lift ? Have to go watch grand daughter play basket ball. Keep at it. D

Did some more reviewing and thinking it might be better to just punt and get the adjustable track bar. I have included a couple more pics showing my current situation. One pic shows how far off I am from being able to install the frame side of the track bar and the second pic shows it installed on the axle side but the re-location bracket "artificially" moves the mounting point rearward due to material thickness of the bracket itself. Could this be enough to be causing the problem?

I am still struggling with the concept of the strap when all the control arm bolts are still tight. What will move to allow the track bar to align and eliminate the twist I am seeing? Nothing seemed odd when I took the track bar off so I would not think it's bent but have hit the wall.

IMG-1767.jpgIMG-1768.jpg

I have 2" lift as well and I don't have a track bar relocation bracket. If I have my rear axle on jack stands with no wheels then I can remove and reinstall my trackbar in less than 15 minutes. I'm actually returning my track bar bracket because it turns out I don't need it. Long story short, try your old mount location and see how far off it is.

Go back to the position you had the bolt half way through. You’ll need to twist the track bar to align the exiting hole with the exiting bolt end. Pipe wrench can work.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Well, after more hours then I want to count, I managed to get everything all bolted up again but now have some driveline vibration and the tires are off-center by about 1/2-3/4". Adjustable track bar I know will fix the off-center issue but not sure how to fix the vibration. Will be doing a lot of reading tonight and may just give in and take it to an alignment shop.

Thanks again to everyone on this great forum for the help and suggestions.

Scott

Nice you got it buttoned up! Add a 1” motor mount lift (MML). It will likely fix your vibe issues, it did for me and many other jeepers.
I recommend getting the aluminum spacer type to be used in conjunction with your stock motor mounts. Other types have been known to add unwanted vibrations while at idle.

Reactions: UKTJ