Quarter glass seal for hardtop LJ

Layers

Ok, So I've looked everywhere to try and find the hardtop seal for the quarter panel in an (LJ)
I have called the local dealership to get the part number (part #55395175aa), I also ordered the TJ seal (way shorter). I dont know what to do next. Is there a way to use 2 tj seals and cut them to make one LJ seal? Has anyone replaced them before?

20200424_120226.jpg

I have not replaced those specifically but I've done a considerable amount of glass.

If no one can help you get the proper one, using 2 TJ ones will work.

I don't know if they are pre-shaped with the corners curved/bent or if they are just like endless generic seals. If the TJ ones are like the generic ones I'd only use the second piece to fill in with both seams at the bottom. If the TJ ones are pre-shaped, then I put the upper seam towards the rear and the lower seam closer to the front.

As for the seams in general, a 45 degree angle from the outside to the inside sometimes helps but I wouldn't do that on anything like this and you definitely don't want a visible 45 degree angle. I'd just make sure that what I cut was about a heavy 1/8" longer than needed because if it's a little short you'll get a gap in a short time and even it it's exactly the right length you'll end up with a gap eventually.

Good Luck.

they are not preshaped, I got the tj one to stretch on but it fits loose. Where it seemed together, it's starting to come apart.

Chrysler quit making LJ specific pieces years ago and very few TJ parts are available from Chrysler anymore. Have you tried local glass shops? I'm thinking they might have a generic fix.

Could/would a tube of butyl caulk work? Every glass shop should have that stuff available. And I'm pretty sure that's what is holding my windshield in.

My boss had the same problem with his LJR and he just had a glass guy set the glass in black automotive glass adhesive. The early Ford Bronco restoration industry does the same all the time to get that modern trim less look.

Reactions: Layers
So I looked a bit and found that hardtopdepot.com makes aftermarket LJ tops. I wonder if they may be able to sell you a seal if it is similar to the factory top seal or let you know what vendor they use for the seal. Worth a try maybe

Reactions: Apparition
I am a master auto glass tech, we use a universal molding because the factory ones fit horribly and are expensively hard to find. The glass must be removed to install either type of molding, I typically remove both sides and replace both moldings so they match. The molding comes on a roll, is attached to the glass, and everything is then urethaned back into place.

Howdy from Oklahoma, glad I found this forum, since I recently acquired a factory hard top on a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited and couldn’t find the replacement glass anywhere. Thanks to Todd at Jeepglass.com, I’ve got one on the way. It’s a used one and matches the factory tint. He’s also got new ones coming in soon. 10/10 would recommend