Question about Bestop sunrider feature

weird. My 05 LJ had a factory top with a sunrider feature, and I don't remember any of the floppiness Jerry describes. Maybe Bestop doesn't do it the same way the factory one did?

The other sunrider top I had was a frameless, so the bars clip in to the door surrounds. I was thinking of getting a square back top for my new LJ but this makes me less sure.

I liked my Trektop NX flip back feature much better. Took a minute to open up.
Bestop_Trektop_NX_Black_Diamond_Flip.jpg

I liked my Trektop NX flip back feature much better. Took a minute to open up.View attachment 254190

I like the look of the NX very much and if you could roll up the windows like with the standard top I'd be all in. The weather here is just too unpredictable - especially here in the mountains - to ever leave the windows at home. I know there are zip-up bags for them but where would my old girl sit?

220.jpg

I like the look of the NX very much and if you could roll up the windows like with the standard top I'd be all in. The weather here is just too unpredictable - especially here in the mountains - to ever leave the windows at home. I know there are zip-up bags for them but where would my old girl sit?

View attachment 254320
You can only roll up the rear window on a standard top. You have to remove the other two and put them somewhere anyway.

Reactions: Scout734
I have a question for those of you who have purchased a complete Bestop top.

Right now the TJ has a hardtop and I want to put a soft top on for summer. Bestop is having a $100 off sale until June 1st so I think I'm going to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak, and buy a square back top. My question is specifically about the sunrider top: it appears to just unlatch and flip back, resting on the roof. So does it secure there somehow, and if not does it flap around? I looked at the installation PDF and there's no mention of it that I can find. Also looked at a couple videos and again, no mention that I saw. I'd hate like hell to have it blowing around up there every time a tractor trailer tries to suck me up under its wheels.

Any suggestions/input would be heavily appreciated.

Thanks.
Tom

Mine just lays back and doesn't flop. If you drive backwards really fast it might be a problem.

Just came across this thread, but it's still relevant.
I have the Twill, but it's very heavy fabric too, so that might make a difference.
If you're just opening the front section, leave the back plastic clips tucked in above the surrounds and when you flip it back the top is nice and tight across the padded bow section.
If you release all 4 plastic clips above the surrounds, both sections will now fold back and lay flat with a larger moonroof.
I've had no issue connecting or disconnecting the clips that hold the top down, top went on without a hitch by myself.
I simply love this top (didn't think I would like the Sunrider feature), now I think it's one of the coolest looking things going on and it gives the ol TJ an updated look too.
IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG

Reactions: SamwiseGamJeep
No floppy floppy...I sell them and install them.
They're excellent and by far still the absolute best top mfg out there.

The weight of the integrated header keeps that laying flat and road wind pushing down on it..

That thing isn't moving one iota!!

Allow me to shed some light on something for you.

Soft tops of today are actually more efficient than a hard top.

It began in 87 with the addition of a rail system along the body tub. It was screwed in place but the tongue and groove design was off and running.
My dear lord what a difference over the previous year (86 CJ) and prior using snaps.

In 97 that rail system became integrated into the body.
Also in 97 they changed the upper rear door entry feature to have a radius on it allowing the use of a full door with a soft top.
(Never before seen or heard of)
(At least of good quality)
Lastly they handed to lock downs at the top of the windshield. Yep....exactly where your hard top clamps to the windshield frame so does the soft top.

Soft tops of today are tight fitting and very simple to put up and down. They don't flap...don't allow air to gush in...

The other thing that most don't think off...
When it's 20 degrees outside that hardtop fiberglass shell is 20 degrees too. It takes a lot longer to warm that shell up than a vinyl top. I promise you!!

If your thing is sucurity...well that's different. If it's because a perception about "days ago" soft tops...that's a false perception.

Good luck!!
Agreed. I have left mine on through PA winters and there is enough heat to keep me warm. It is a Bestop which is the only one I can recommend.

DSCN1537.JPG