Question about BFG A/T KO2 tires

Mudflat

TJ Enthusiast
So my TJ which I bought last year came with a lift & BFG A/T KO2 tires size 33/12.50 R 15 on Dick Cepek Steel wheels. After getting new track bar, tie rod kit, front hubs steering box & Rubicon Express shocks it was fantastic on the highway for a while. You could actually drive it at 70 mph with one finger on the steering wheel which I understand is rare for any Jeep. A couple of months ago I noticed a shake in the steering wheel that began at around 40 mph (NOT death wobble). I’ve had the tires rotated & rebalanced & that didn’t help. I’ve had two different shops (one of which did the front end work) check out the front end components & pronounce everything good. So that leaves the tires. I had this same brand of tire on an F-350 several years ago & one of the tires had a belt either shift, break or somehow go bad. Changing to new tires solved the problem.
When I first got the Jeep, the manager at my local 4 Wheel Parts store in Beaumont, Texas said that the KO2s are terrible & cause a lot of problems. The steel wheels don’t help either. I immediately thought that this guy was just trying to make some money off me & it wasn’t quite time to change out the tires anyway. After the front end work was done & it drove so great I thought my suspicions about him were confirmed. Then this shake started. I went back to him & he said, “I told you so”.
Well, my plan going forward is to get new tires since The old ones are 5 years old & I was going to replace them next year anyway & cast aluminum Pro Comp 69 series Vintage Flat Black Alloy Wheels (15X10). I’m thinking about the General Grabber A/TX tires since they are a lot like the BFGs.
My other problem is that I really wanted to go down to size 33/10.50 tires to reduce rolling mass, unsprung weight, & to keep from wearing so much mud when we’re wheeling, but the only ones in A/T tread that I could find are the BFGs that I’m trying to get away from (🙄) So, unless I can get some enlightenment from some of you, I’m sticking with the General (or some other brand) in 33X12.50.
I know there will me many diverging opinions about all of this, but I would appreciate your input & suggestions
Thanks in advance for your help.

So my TJ which I bought last year came with a lift & BFG A/T KO2 tires size 33/12.50 R 15 on Dick Cepek Steel wheels. After getting new track bar, tie rod kit, front hubs steering box & Rubicon Express shocks it was fantastic on the highway for a while. You could actually drive it at 70 mph with one finger on the steering wheel which I understand is rare for any Jeep. A couple of months ago I noticed a shake in the steering wheel that began at around 40 mph (NOT death wobble). I’ve had the tires rotated & rebalanced & that didn’t help. I’ve had two different shops (one of which did the front end work) check out the front end components & pronounce everything good. So that leaves the tires. I had this same brand of tire on an F-350 several years ago & one of the tires had a belt either shift, break or somehow go bad. Changing to new tires solved the problem.
When I first got the Jeep, the manager at my local 4 Wheel Parts store in Beaumont, Texas said that the KO2s are terrible & cause a lot of problems. The steel wheels don’t help either. I immediately thought that this guy was just trying to make some money off me & it wasn’t quite time to change out the tires anyway. After the front end work was done & it drove so great I thought my suspicions about him were confirmed. Then this shake started. I went back to him & he said, “I told you so”.
Well, my plan going forward is to get new tires since The old ones are 5 years old & I was going to replace them next year anyway & cast aluminum Pro Comp 69 series Vintage Flat Black Alloy Wheels (15X10). I’m thinking about the General Grabber A/TX tires since they are a lot like the BFGs.
My other problem is that I really wanted to go down to size 33/10.50 tires to reduce rolling mass, unsprung weight, & to keep from wearing so much mud when we’re wheeling, but the only ones in A/T tread that I could find are the BFGs that I’m trying to get away from (🙄) So, unless I can get some enlightenment from some of you, I’m sticking with the General (or some other brand) in 33X12.50.
I know there will me many diverging opinions about all of this, but I would appreciate your input & suggestions
Thanks in advance for your help.
I would get the 15 x 8 rims and the 10".

I put some 33x12.5 BFGs on my TJ last year & it's just now starting to develop an imbalance that I can't get rid of. I narrowed it down to one tire so I swapped it with the spare. My vibes start around 50 or so, but I rarely take it on the highway anyway so it's not of any consequence to me. They perform well off-road which is what my Jeep sees about 50% of the time so I'm just going to ride it out. Not applicable to your situation, just another data point for you.

BFG KO2"s from 5 years ago are probably made with the old compound that tends to get harder with time. your issue root of cause. Newer ones have a newer compound that seems to be better and last longer, that's because they are OEM now...

Get the 4WP tire discount printed and stop by Tire Discount and ask them for the new KM3's, they will match the 4WP price or discount, probably have better rim options and their service is lots faster and easier than 4WP.

Edit

I do have KO2's on my truck and no issues w balancing.

Last edited:
I didn’t understand your response. Would you get the 8” or the 10”? The General tire chart recommends 8.5” as the minimum wheel width so that leaves the 10”.
Think he means 8 inch wheel width and 10 inch wide tire.

I just changed off my 6 year old bfg ko2 33x12.5s for ko2 33x10.5. I really like them so far. My old ones also had a weird wobble on them and I didn’t know why. These new ones have been great for like ~3000 miles. I’ve heard the older ko2s had issues, not sure how old yours are

I just changed off my 6 year old bfg ko2 33x12.5s for ko2 33x10.5. I really like them so far. My old ones also had a weird wobble on them and I didn’t know why. These new ones have been great for like ~3000 miles. I’ve heard the older ko2s had issues, not sure how old yours are
Sorry, tried to type without my glasses 🤓. Get the 8" wide wheels and not the 10” wheels. If you ever need to air down the 8" wheels hold the tire on better.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Go with the 15 x 8" wide wheel with
3.75 Back Spacing.

That's the perfect wheel for a TJ

10.50/12.50 wide tire no matter

Available 33x10.50x15...
Toyo open country MT
General Grabber X3
Both BFG's

Kenda Klever RT has a 33x9.50x15

Good luck

Mine are 5 years old. ‘Close to time to change anyway.