Question About Cooling System / Temp Gauge

Mazepam

TJ Enthusiast
Hey All!

So I'm not sure what the electronics behind the cooling system is but it seems like ONLY when I'm driving over about 65 or so MPH on the freeway my temp gauge will be all the way to the right of the center line, it doesn't go way over to the right but its as far as it can go over without it going over. It looks like the pic below.

This is the first summer I've had the TJ so not sure if this is normal or not just started getting 80-90 degrees here in Jersey. I'm just ignorant as to how the system works so it makes me nervous.

I know if you overheat on the Highway its due to a radiator issue most likely, but I can drive it all day below freeway speeds and it stays a tick below or on the 210 line.

1621515568016.png

Yeah I thought i heard that somewhere its going to sit there UNTIL it over heats then it would jump in the red.

I'm going to attach my scan tool while i drive home and see when i did it before it would just stay around 218 or so the whole time.

Hey All!

So I'm not sure what the electronics behind the cooling system is but it seems like ONLY when I'm driving over about 65 or so MPH on the freeway my temp gauge will be all the way to the right of the center line, it doesn't go way over to the right but its as far as it can go over without it going over. It looks like the pic below.

This is the first summer I've had the TJ so not sure if this is normal or not just started getting 80-90 degrees here in Jersey. I'm just ignorant as to how the system works so it makes me nervous.

I know if you overheat on the Highway its due to a radiator issue most likely, but I can drive it all day below freeway speeds and it stays a tick below or on the 210 line.

View attachment 253637
It's normal for the temp to rise from about 210 (normal operating temp) up to no more than 220 when in stop/go traffic, pulling a long grade, towing, etc. As @IAmTodd says, get an OBDII scanner and that will tell you what the coolant temperature sensor is actually reporting to the ECM.

The temperature shown in the photo is normal, at or close to 210. Newer automotive engines like in TJs are all designed run hotter now than they used to like when I was a kid. They're more efficient there.

Reactions: Zorba
The temperature shown in the photo is normal, at or close to 210. Newer automotive engines like in TJs are all designed run hotter now than they used to like when I was a kid. They're more efficient there.

Ok thanks good to konw, yeah It'll be right around there but it hasn't gone over it yet, there's a never a point where the pointer is not touching the 210 marker at some point, it just seems to drift to the right like that.

It's normal for the temp to rise from about 210 (normal operating temp) up to no more than 220 when in stop/go traffic, pulling a long grade, towing, etc. As @IAmTodd says, get an OBDII scanner and that will tell you what the coolant temperature sensor is actually reporting to the ECM.
I really need to get that aftermarket radiator out of my LJ....

I 100% agree. The radiator was replaced prior to my ownership so I'm stuck with it for the short term. Planning on redoing everything soon.