Question about crank pulley on a 2011 Ford Ranger with a 2.3 engine

Smtwnwygrl

A co-worker of mine had a damper pulley failure on his ranger. What happened was that his pulley came apart and the belt guide fell off, leaving behind a core that resembled a v-belt pulley. I suspect the cause of this was that his air conditioner compressor seized up. So, I offered to replace his damper pulley for him. After doing this, I instructed him to go get his timing adjusted asap, which he did a few days later. The shop he took it to said his engine was fucked and he needed to replace it. They said it was because we didn't use an alignment tool to install the damper, which I did not find any information about when researching the swap out on youtube. So now I'm worried I destroyed his engine. So, since it's an internally balanced engine with a distributor, does the damper pulley work like a harmonic balancer on these engines? How would it have anything to do with the timing since it's a distributed engine? Do I owe this guy a new engine?

TL;DR I did a favor to a co-worker by replacing his damper pulley, but now the shop he took it to is saying his engine is destroyed since we didn't he's an alignment tool.

A co-worker of mine had a damper pulley failure on his ranger. What happened was that his pulley came apart and the belt guide fell off, leaving behind a core that resembled a v-belt pulley. I suspect the cause of this was that his air conditioner compressor seized up. So, I offered to replace his damper pulley for him. After doing this, I instructed him to go get his timing adjusted asap, which he did a few days later. The shop he took it to said his engine was fucked and he needed to replace it. They said it was because we didn't use an alignment tool to install the damper, which I did not find any information about when researching the swap out on youtube. So now I'm worried I destroyed his engine. So, since it's an internally balanced engine with a distributor, does the damper pulley work like a harmonic balancer on these engines? How would it have anything to do with the timing since it's a distributed engine? Do I owe this guy a new engine?

TL;DR I did a favor to a co-worker by replacing his damper pulley, but now the shop he took it to is saying his engine is destroyed since we didn't he's an alignment tool.
no response.

A co-worker of mine had a damper pulley failure on his ranger. What happened was that his pulley came apart and the belt guide fell off, leaving behind a core that resembled a v-belt pulley. I suspect the cause of this was that his air conditioner compressor seized up. So, I offered to replace his damper pulley for him. After doing this, I instructed him to go get his timing adjusted asap, which he did a few days later. The shop he took it to said his engine was fucked and he needed to replace it. They said it was because we didn't use an alignment tool to install the damper, which I did not find any vehicletreat information about when researching the swap out on youtube. So now I'm worried I destroyed his engine. So, since it's an internally balanced engine with a distributor, does the damper pulley work like a harmonic balancer on these engines? How would it have anything to do with the timing since it's a distributed engine? Do I owe this guy a new engine?

reposting