Question about installing factory cruise control on a 2000 TJ

joe b

I am looking to put a factory cruise control on my 2000 tj. after looking under the hood the wiring harness for a factory cruise control does not exist. i can get all the hardware for the factory setup including the clock spring. my question would be, what kind of harness would I need to complete this task? would installing the harness be a pain?

Funny you bring this up. Out of curiosity I actually spent a few hours today going through FSMs to create a harness for CC. After going through everything it’s actually very easy.

My TJ has CC but it wasn't fully wired from the factory. It had the Mopar add on kit installed at some point. The CC wiring under the dash and behind the clockspring was factory installed, just not under the hood. I could shoot you some pictures of my notes if you’d like.

Im doing some work on my grandmas Jeep today. I’ll scan my stuff and send it to you when I’m done. It only requires six wires to hook up.

The most difficult part to track down will be the overlay harness. You'll need to source and add the wiring from the speed control servo to the PCM. There used to be a kit (could even buy the harness overlay separately) but I don't show it currently available anywhere.

If you know what you're looking for, you can get everything you need from a wrecked TJ.

I have contacted a great “junk yard for jeeps” in Vincennes, Indiana called Beards Jeep parts. They have tons of Jeep parts and have every I need. I just need to know how to “hook into” the harness for a factory installation.

I have contacted a great “junk yard for jeeps” in Vincennes, Indiana called Beards Jeep parts. They have tons of Jeep parts and have every I need. I just need to know how to “hook into” the harness for a factory installation.

I couldn't find instructions for the 2000 TJ, but there are instructions for the 2003-2006 that will give you an idea of what to expect: https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/cruise-control-install-pdf.58336/

The 2000-2001 Service Manual can help you figure out how to tap into the PCM. The Cruise Control Service connector is on page 695. The servo wires tap into the PCM at C3 page 688. The ground is G100, center of the firewall page 703.