Question About Pinion Seal Replacement

LukesfirstJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I have a leaking front pinion seal, and plan to replace it. In addition to the new seal, should I plan to install a new crush sleeve?

I added a 3" lift to my 2005 LJ, and it drove fine. After regearing, I had a vibration problem. I installed a SYE and new rear driveshaft and the problem was mostly solved. My F&R pinion angles were about 1 degree apart. I rebuilt the OEM front driveshaft, but did not check balance, and the vibration went away for a few thousand miles. The vibration has returned and the front pinion seal is now leaking.

I'm looking for a local shop that can check driveshaft balance, but based on the rust and peeling paint, I'm leaning on replacing the driveshaft.

I have a leaking front pinion seal, and plan to replace it. In addition to the new seal, should I plan to install a new crush sleeve?

I added a 3" lift to my 2005 LJ, and it drove fine. After regearing, I had a vibration problem. I installed a SYE and new rear driveshaft and the problem was mostly solved. My F&R pinion angles were about 1 degree apart. I rebuilt the OEM front driveshaft, but did not check balance, and the vibration went away for a few thousand miles. The vibration has returned and the front pinion seal is now leaking.

I'm looking for a local shop that can check driveshaft balance, but based on the rust and peeling paint, I'm leaning on replacing the driveshaft.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachm...ual-front-pinion-seal-replacement-pdf.273026/

I just replaced a yoke and this is the procedure I used. Worked like charm.