Question about running 35s with a 2" lift

@Chris do you recall your bump length with the stock fenders after adding the fox shocks? I want to say it was between 2-3 inches.

I don't recall, but that sounds about right from what I can remember. I think the MC fenders would have made a slight difference when turning under full stuff, as they don't have a lip on the edge of them like the stock flares do. Possibly 1/2" to 1" of difference I would think.

Reactions: JMT
From your lift guide it looks like a 2.5" lift is the sweet spot for maximum tire size without swapping out too many parts. I'm pretty sure I have 29's right now and my rear springs definitely sag. With that being said, would a 2.5 lift and 31's make a considerable difference?
Metalcloak is mostly a marketing gimmick. Can it be done? Yes. Do you need Metalcloak fenders to do it? No.

Yes, a 2.5” lift will make a big difference. You could run up to a 32” metric equivalent tire with that lift. If you added a 1-1.25” body lift you could run 33’s. Mine with 3” SL and 1.25” BL with 33’s
42C67713-EB4E-4C2E-A6EE-58200F364097.jpeg

Reactions: Iowajeeptj
To the OP this is mine on 35's with a 4" lift before adding a 1" BL, which is 3" higher than your 2" lift you want to use. Now it is not sitting on level ground, I am on a trail and purposely checking the flex to see how far the suspension will flex and to check for tire clearance. As you can see 4" is not enough.

1_zps5f5359d7.JPG

11_zps642c32b2.jpg

Last edited:
Goes for some OME springs get some Rancho 5000x shocks and good 32" tires and you will be able to go damn near anywhere. Driver skill dictates what you can do as much or more than 35's do. Then your axles will hold up. Your gearing should still be ok and if your brakes are in good condition then stock will be ok. That $10,000 that you keep hearing about dosen't include most of the labor either. And from this point you can find out if you need, or even want 35's.

Reactions: JMT and Plumber1
I know this is a older thread now. And I don't mean to call any of you long time forum members out as I have gotten alot of very useful info on here throughout the years. But one thing I am sick of hearing is that you need a massive lift on your TJ to functionally run big tires. Simply put you are all wrong. And I'm sorry for being blunt but it's true. I am going to believe Chris Durham and Fred Williams who have both built big tire low lift TJ's and wheel the snot out of them before I believe any of you guys on this particular subject. Go ahead and argue but before you do go look up the little white TJ known as Tube Sock. It's got 37's or 38's on a 2 inch lift and it gets wheeled hard. Has run the ultimate adventure multiple times.

I don't think anyone is really arguing that highlining isn't an option which is what Fred did. They are saying without highlining you need a bigger lift to fit 35s.

That said I wheel with a guy that has metalcloaks on his tj, 2-inch lift, 1-inch body with 35s and he does great.

Reactions: Goatman
I don't think anyone is really arguing that highlining isn't an option which is what Fred did. They are saying without highlining you need a bigger lift to fit 35s.

That said I wheel with a guy that has metalcloaks on his tj, 2-inch lift, 1-inch body with 35s and he does great.
Okay fair enough, I must have missed where highlining was brought up because yes that's where I was headed with my point. If you cut and trim, buy the fibreglass hood that Fred has its a very valid way to build a TJ.

I know this is a older thread now. And I don't mean to call any of you long time forum members out as I have gotten alot of very useful info on here throughout the years. But one thing I am sick of hearing is that you need a massive lift on your TJ to functionally run big tires. Simply put you are all wrong. And I'm sorry for being blunt but it's true. I am going to believe Chris Durham and Fred Williams who have both built big tire low lift TJ's and wheel the snot out of them before I believe any of you guys on this particular subject. Go ahead and argue but before you do go look up the little white TJ known as Tube Sock. It's got 37's or 38's on a 2 inch lift and it gets wheeled hard. Has run the ultimate adventure multiple times.
Having a bad day? 🤣

Honestly just tired of reading on how you need a massive lift to run big tires so I decided to finally make a profile and throw in my 2 cents. Lifts are useful but expensive and there are other ways to run big tires and still keep suspension travel ( for the most part )
Having a bad day? 🤣

Bwahahaha... nothing like turning up the arrogance knob to 11 on your first post! Straight out of "how to win friends and influence people"! lol

A suspension lift is a relatively inexpensive, easy way to fit bigger tires on a 4x4 vehicle. A LCG TJ is (obviously!) more desirable since it is more stable by design, but it takes substantially more work and money to be able to fit bigger tires than doing it with a suspension lift. "You are all wrong" is an arrogant and ignorant statement. Besides, running 35's on a TJ is not just about clearance for the tires, it often takes many thousands of dollars to upgrade axle shafts, sometimes axles, and then re-gear, upgrade brakes, etc.

Probably should've considered first posting in the New Member Welcome Area (https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area.107/) instead of here, but hey, you do you... smh

Alri
Bwahahaha... nothing like turning up the arrogance knob to 11 on your first post! Straight out of "how to win friends and influence people"! lol

A suspension lift is a relatively inexpensive, easy way to fit bigger tires on a 4x4 vehicle. A LCG TJ is (obviously!) more desirable since it is more stable by design, but it takes substantially more work and money to be able to fit bigger tires than doing it with a suspension lift. "You are all wrong" is an arrogant and ignorant statement. Besides, running 35's on a TJ is not just about clearance for the tires, it often takes many thousands of dollars to upgrade axle shafts, sometimes axles, and then re-gear, upgrade brakes, etc.

Probably should've considered first posting in the New Member Welcome Area (https://wranglertjforum.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area.107/) instead of here, but hey, you do you... smh
Alright I'll give you that, that was a very arrogant way of putting it on my part. And I also agree with it takes more than clearance to fit 35's but let's be real for a moment. If you are getting ready to stuff 35's under your TJ you should already have the necessary axle and driveshaft upgrades to accommodate for it. Chromo shafts and Yukon gears came at 33's. No way 35's on a stock axle should even be a thought. Clearance should be the only issue realistically.

Like @mrblaine, @jjvw, and so many others have said before, you don't need a massive lift to run larger tires. You want a LCoG lift and large tires? By all means, go for it. But it's a lesson in compromise to do so.

37s on 2" of lift works just fine...if you like making compromises.

When you lift, the goal is to at least maintain the factory 4" of up travel. As the lift height increases, so does the shock length. But it isn't 1:1 with the lift height. Which means you are adding lift height, both to accommodate the tire size as well as the required longer shock. There is a balance between the lift height, tire size and shock length that adds up to more required lift than it might appear when looking at the Jeep in the parking lot.

Additionally, as the shock travel increases, so does the travel arc of the articulating tires. This requires more room than it might appear.

On top of that, larger tires are often wider which also required more wheel backspacing. This further increases the travel arc of the articulating tires.

The more you attempt to skimp on the needed clearance for a larger tire, the more compromises you will create. Some of which matter more than others depending on what you want out of the Jeep. The quest for LCoG is an exercise in compromises.

Reactions: jjvw
Like @mrblaine, @jjvw, and so many others have said before, you don't need a massive lift to run larger tires. You want a LCoG lift and large tires? By all means, go for it. But it's a lesson in compromise to do so.

37s on 2" of lift works just fine...if you like making compromises.
With all due respect Chris as I really value your experience and expertise but when you lift it aren't you also making sacrifices? I've seen jeeps flop on their side on things I've walked through. I've also been hung up on my belly where lifted jeeps walk through. I believe both sides of the spectrum have ups and downs

With all due respect Chris as I really value your experience and expertise but when you lift it aren't you also making sacrifices? I've seen jeeps flop on their side on things I've walked through. I've also been hung up on my belly where lifted jeeps walk through. I believe both sides of the spectrum have ups and downs
Awesome, another fucktard from north of the border. Why does it always have to be a fucktard from north of the border?

Jeeps flopping on their side has to do only with a bad driver having picked a poor line (or not having a good spotter), it has nothing whatsoever to do with let's say a 2" lift versus a 5" lift, that much I can guarantee.

Here's a good way of putting it that @jjvw said in a previous post:

When you lift, the goal is to at least maintain the factory 4" of up travel. As the lift height increases, so does the shock length. But it isn't 1:1 with the lift height. Which means you are adding lift height, both to accommodate the tire size as well as the required longer shock. There is a balance between the lift height, tire size and shock length that adds up to more required lift than it might appear when looking at the Jeep in the parking lot.

Additionally, as the shock travel increases, so does the travel arc of the articulating tires. This requires more room than it might appear.

On top of that, larger tires are often wider which also required more wheel backspacing. This further increases the travel arc of the articulating tires.

The more you attempt to skimp on the needed clearance for a larger tire, the more compromises you will create. Some of which matter more than others depending on what you want out of the Jeep. The quest for LCoG is an exercise in compromises.

Reactions: jjvw
They don't believe in re-gearing up there you know ;)
I won't pick on them for that, there's lots of morons down here that tell everyone how great their TJ does on hills with 37's, stock 3.73's, the 42 and it doesn't even kick out of Overdrive. Yeah, you know how I know you're full of shit? That's right, your fingers are spewing shit out of your keyboard.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris