Question for those who have done Bushwacker flat flare install

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Just order the Bushwacker Flat Flare kit to replace the aging stock flares, and gain a bit of tire coverage.

My black 2000 4.0 Sport has the horizontal rocker trim pieces that trail the front flares. No Rubicon diamond plate. I do use and want to keep the stock side steps for now. Not looking to drill any holes or add any armor. No rock crawling in my future.. Jeep is my DD and sees surface roads, dirt roads to camping and backpacking sites and beach duty.

The stock rocker trim needs to come off. I believe Bushwacker makes a low profile replacement trim pane I can add. Tons of diamond plate options and even more plastic stick on faux diamond plate. I am considering a simple adhesive backed black rocker trim tape to cover the holes left from the stock trim and visually finish off the rockers. The tape doesn't try to be something it isn't like plastic diamond plate.. :oops:

For those who installed Bushwacker flatties and didn't add rocker armor, what did you do to finish off the rockers?

Last edited:
My Bushwhacker flat fenders lasted several hours on their first trail, they're barely able to fend off even shopping carts. These and Bushwhacker's Pocket Flares are about as flimsy as they come. Their Pocket Flares are molded from a brittle crack and breakage prone plastic. Their flat fenders are more flexible but the way they're mounted is a joke.

CIMG2644.JPG
CIMG2695.JPG

My Bushwhacker flat fenders lasted several hours on their first trail, they're barely able to even fend off shopping carts. These and Bushwhacker's Pocket Flares are about as flimsy as they come. Their Pocket Flares are molded from a brittle crack and breakage prone plastic. Their flat fenders are more flexible but the way they're mounted is a joke.

View attachment 318099View attachment 318100
I know this isn't the case Jerry, but the way you phrased your reply made me think that a shopping cart caused that damage to your flare. So now I have this comical image in my head! 😆

You should steer clear of the mall, man! Those parking lots can be brutal! 🤣

Thanks.. that helps. You have them, right?
My Bushwhacker flat fenders lasted several hours on their first trail, they're barely able to fend off even shopping carts. These and Bushwhacker's Pocket Flares are about as flimsy as they come. Their Pocket Flares are molded from a brittle crack and breakage prone plastic. Their flat fenders are more flexible but the way they're mounted is a joke.

View attachment 318099View attachment 318100
You've shared your thoughts on these before and I thank you. That said, there is no way I am going to even remotely impart the same level of exposure you might. I have been exploring these types of flares and of all the options that are not metal, these are the most rigid by a long stretch. Some of the single layer flares deform with slightest amount of pressure. The double wall of the Bushwackers is more robust. Like so many things we explore for our rigs, intended use remains one of the most important considerations..

The worst mine will see are a heavy can of Fosters Lager or an XL double latte.

Thanks.. that helps. You have them, right?

You've shared your thoughts on these before and I thank you. That said, there is no way I am going to even remotely impart the same level of exposure you might. I have been exploring these types of flares and of all the options that are not metal, these are the most rigid by a long stretch. Some of the single layer flares deform with slightest amount of pressure. The double wall of the Bushwackers is more robust. Like so many things we explore for our rigs, intended use remains one of the most important considerations..

The worst mine will see are a heavy can of Fosters Lager or an XL double latte.
Just watch out for those shopping carts.

Reactions: MikekiM
Just watch out for those shopping carts.
You'll never see me in the mall, but I won't be crawling up any ledges either. I'm a bit of a hardcore backpacker and often use fire roads to get to a basecamp or trailhead. Not likely to be bouncing off any trees, but Leroy in the WallyWorld battery scooter won't be any where near where I go..

Reactions: SvtLdr