Questions about going from a 4 to 2” Lift

Leroy_TJ

2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
Supporting Member
Good morning ,

I am going from a 4" skyjacker to lift to a BDS 2" Lift. The jeep is a 2006 TJ X 4.O 6 speed trans and 32" tires. I bought the jeep a few months ago with current lift and tires on it. I have put 6k miles on it since I got it and realize I really dont need the 4" lift and I would like to have a better ride, plus the budget is just not there for a sye and adjustable control arms and everything else that is needed to make the 4" lift right.

I measured center to center on the sky jacker control arms and compared them to the old stock lowers and they are same as far as I can tell, so my question is when i go to the 2" lift do i need to install new control arms or can I wait ? What brand control arms are recommended if I have to change them out ?

After I get the suspension where I want it I will be regearing to 4:10 with Detroit Truetracs.

I will also be going with a 32x11.5x15 tire , any recomendations on tire brand ? Looking at the Maxxis Buck Shots and Master Craft MXT.

You can buy a set of OEM control arms for pretty cheap. I think around $100.

Reactions: Leroy_TJ
If the arms you have on now are set to stock length then going to a shorter spring wouldn't require new arms. You should have no problem with the lower springs effecting axle geometry. Same with DS length. All should be fine. You may be able to remove any transfer drop brackets without causing a vibe too. Being adjustable, they should be able to fix any axle problem that may appear.

Sitting around the house today , weather is bad, high winds and thunder storms.
Anyway I wanted to update the thread. After discussions with @Chris and @CodaMan I have decided to use Codamans build on my jeep. I got everything ordered today. Hopefully next weekend I will have the old skyjacker lift off and the 2" pro comp springs and ranch shocks on.
I will be replacing the control arms with oem style arms from crown. Also I will be doing the ZJ steering upgrade.
I do have question for every one. The front and rear sway bar links that are on the jeep are extended links that came with the skyjacker kit , woukd it be ok to use these links for the time being or do I need to put oem sway bar links back ? I will going with the jks adjustables in the future.
Pic of front couldn't get the rear ,storming .

I do want say thanks to all that has helped me so far, I really appreciate it.

Chris
15787667852165905694180440602967.jpg

Reactions: CodaMan and Chris
I found the crown on amazon for 245.00. I want to know if I could wait to swap the control arms out since the skyjacker ones measure close to the same as stock.
If I can wait I could save up for the core 4x4 tier 1 adjustable control arms.
https://www.core4x4.com/product/adjustable-control-arms-complete-set-t1-wrangler-tj-1997-2006/

You can get a full set of crown from Summit for $180 right now just FYI - I waited until a sale and got like an additional $10 off

Last edited:
As far as your sway bar links...once everything is installed connect your links and look at the sway bar's position, it should be anywhere from level to around 10 or so degrees up at the link. Right now you pretty level from that camera position.

As far as your sway bar links...once everything is installed connect your links and look at the sway bar's position, it should be anywhere from level to around 10 or so degrees up at the link. Right now you pretty level from that camera position.

Will do , thanks. I am hoping I can use what is there until I can get the jks links.

ive thought of doing the same but sadly i bought shocks for a 3-4 inch lift now (was in a hurry). But im curious what other parts apart from arms and coils would be a limited factor for dropping the car down? I know my TJ has a rear track bar relocation bracket (one limit to dropping lower?) but im not sure is it easy to reverse this or not

I am copying Codamans lift. I have track bar relocation bracket as well with the skyjacker lift. I am going to swap that out for an OME relocation bracket. Plans are to go with an adjustable track bar up front but that will later on.