Questions about replacing fuel pump

Hawkeye

TJ Enthusiast
Hi all, couple of questions here for ya...Bosch doesn't make the whole fuel pump assembly anymore but they do still make just the pump which I believe is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm wondering if anyone has actually taken the old assembly apart to install this pump? If so, thoughts? Any special tools required? I would like to stick with Bosch if possible. Also, I had a new sending unit installed per a recall and I'm wondering will I be able to reuse it? I thought I read somewhere that earlier model TJs had it welded on. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? This is for a '97 Sport with a 19 gallon. Thanks!

@TJ_2000 thanks I saw that NAPA has the Delphi just wasnt sure on the quality. That is great to hear. I may go end up going that route depending

Hi all, couple of questions here for ya...Bosch doesn't make the whole fuel pump assembly anymore but they do still make just the pump which I believe is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I'm wondering if anyone has actually taken the old assembly apart to install this pump? If so, thoughts? Any special tools required? I would like to stick with Bosch if possible. Also, I had a new sending unit installed per a recall and I'm wondering will I be able to reuse it? I thought I read somewhere that earlier model TJs had it welded on. Anything else I should replace while I'm in there? This is for a '97 Sport with a 19 gallon. Thanks!
The pump is easy to swap on the 2004, it is probably similar on yours. You have to be careful with the plastic clips and the wiring needs to be done but it isn't too bad. You can also change the pump screens when you have it out. I don't know what the part numbers are. Many places have good return policies. You might be able to buy both and see how far you get taking the old one apart.

Edit: If you just swap the pump you are skipping allot of other stuff that can be good to replace - like the top assembly and the screens and the sending unit

Reactions: Hawkeye
IMGP0244.jpg

See the spanner wrench in the picture? It isn't needed to remove the ring that holds the pump/sending unit in place but it helps. I used a large pair of Channel Locks the first time I ever removed one.

IMGP0242.jpg

The large white ring on top is what I am talking about.

The pump is easy to swap on the 2004, it is probably similar on yours. You have to be careful with the plastic clips and the wiring needs to be done but it isn't too bad. You can also change the pump screens when you have it out. I don't know what the part numbers are. Many places have good return policies. You might be able to buy both and see how far you get taking the old one apart.

Edit: If you just swap the pump you are skipping allot of other stuff that can be good to replace - like the top assembly and the screens and the sending unit
Yeah I want to make sure I get everything replaced if it might be a possible issue soon. I dont see a part number for the bottom filter tho. Is that a screen you were able to change out?

View attachment 85828

See the spanner wrench in the picture? It isn't needed to remove the ring that holds the pump/sending unit in place but it helps. I used a large pair of Channel Locks the first time I ever removed one.

View attachment 85829

The large white ring on top is what I am talking about.
Thank you this probably just saved me s headache haha. I'm going to get this wrench

All that's needed for that nylon lock ring is a large strap wrench. The ones that are in the tool departments tend to be too small for this job. I found my large strap wrench in the plumbing department. Those with rubber straps don't hold up for me.

820909505402.jpg

I've replace 3 Wrangler fuel pumps to date and each time I used a piece of soft pine and a rubber mallet to remove the nylon lock nut without damage. Seems as though a few light taps was all that was needed.

Yeah I want to make sure I get everything replaced if it might be a possible issue soon. I dont see a part number for the bottom filter tho. Is that a screen you were able to change out?
There were two screens on mine, one inside the can and one outside. They just snap on. Take a look at Rockauto, I don't really know what yours is going to look like. I wouldn't buy one until I had the pump in my hands but you can look in the Fuel & Air / Fuel Pump Strainer category and see both of them. In fact I think the Delphi kit has them both.

I've replace 3 Wrangler fuel pumps to date and each time I used a piece of soft pine and a rubber mallet to remove the nylon lock nut without damage. Seems as though a few light taps was all that was needed.

I've done an 04 and an 06, they were both unpleasant. It was a struggle with a sledge and steel, wood was not an option. It makes me really want to try that strap wrench. I'm a huge fan of the right tool for the right job and I know I've been doing that one wrong.

Reactions: Hawkeye

I’ve not changed the fuel pump on my LJ, but have on a few other vehicles and this is the exact method I used.

My truck had a metal locking ring, so I used a brass punch (so there was no spark) and a ball peen to knock it loose.

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Changed mine a few weeks ago. I rebuilt the assembly with parts. Very easy and self explanatory once you get it out. I bout the Bosch Pump and a regulator on eBay. Cost about $100

I just bought the Delphi assembly from Autozone for $240 and installed it. I went this route since my gas gage was not working either. It fit good and worked perfect out of the box. Beware, they have two lengths for the standard and optional size tank so you will need to know tank size. This unit has a lifetime warranty.

Thanks everyone for your replies you were very helpful. I ended up ordering the pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filler hose, fuel tank vent hose, and a ground stap since I noticed mine is broke. Is it recommended to replace that "Seal, Fuel Pump and Level Unit" part #5201 8808? The Jeeps at about 130,000 miles and not a really dry climate.

Well I'm going to get this other seal anyway. I figure any seal I should probably just replace if I'm in there. And I forgot, the evap lines on top of the tank have been discontinued so I'll have to track down some fittings and tubes for that.

Reactions: MountaineerTom