Questions about swapping a NSG370 into a 2000 TJ

Roccrawler3

I was wondering can I direct drop a 2005 nsg370 trans into my 2000 TJ my nv3550 finally went the way of the dodo bird and a six speed might be nice. Or will I have to do a bunch of things like new drive line lengths??

It should be a straight swap is my understanding. This wouldn't be the case if you had an AX-15, but the NSG370 and NV3500 should swap just fine without any changes I believe.

Is the nsg370 a better trans? Because the nv3550 is in my opinion -rap! But that's just my opinion.

I own both a 2006 TJ Rubicon with the NSG370 and a 2003 TJ Rubicon with the NV3550.

After driving them both extensively, I am not convinced one transmission is any better than the other. The only thing I notice whatsoever is that the NSG370 seems a little sportier in the way it shifts and the first gear in the NSG370 is a bit shorter. Other than that though, that's it.

That being said, if my NV3550 in my 2003 Rubicon were to fail, I would replace it with either the NSG370 or another NV3550. It would simply come down to whichever I could find a brand new replacement for cheaper.

That was how I was kinda thinkin. I didn't really want to do the 3550 if I didn't have to because my old one is really loud and always has been but if it's cheaper to just replace it with the same I will but if I can somewhat upgrade at around the same cost I'd rather upgrade.

That was how I was kinda thinkin. I didn't really want to do the 3550 if I didn't have to because my old one is really loud and always has been but if it's cheaper to just replace it with the same I will but if I can somewhat upgrade at around the same cost I'd rather upgrade.

The NSG370 is just as loud as the NV3550, trust me :LOL:

One option you have is replacing it with the tried and true AX15:

https://www.advanceadapters.com/products/26-ax15--aisin-ax15-5-speed-transmission-new/
For that price you get a brand new transmission. You need a bell housing adapter which AA sells. That is a solid transmission, isn't as loud as the others, and is a very common swap in place of the NV3550 and NSG370 manual transmissions.

I have another question for you. How much noise might a bad throw out bearing cause?

It would definitely cause noise, but the amount of noise it would cause just depends on how bad it was. It could cause anything from a light squeaking to a full on squeal.

The NV3550 (and NSG370) are infamous for their "bucket of bolts" sound that truly does sound like someone is shaking around a bucket of bolts under your TJ. I'm not entirely sure why they do this, but I know that it is normal behavior for these transmissions.

Reactions: sierradmax
See I suddenly got a loud gear noise decelerating in 1st and 2nd gears it first happened in 4wd but is now in 2wd and it won't down shift into 2nd
Sounds to me like your transmission may indeed be on it's way out. How many miles are on it? The second gear scynro could be failing. Have you tried matching the revs when downshifting to see if it will go into gear that way? Sometimes rev matching makes going into gear much easier when downshifting. It's a habit I have been in since my sports car / track racing days. I do it on my Jeep as well.

Is suppose you could start by changing the fluid and putting in some Redline MT90. These transmissions really love that stuff, it makes a world of difference.

The NSG370 is just as loud as the NV3550, trust me :LOL:
Loud? I don't think I ever noticed any sound whatsoever from mine - which is kinda disappointing as I love gear sounds. Hence my adoration of the late, great, SM420 transmission - wonderful sound track!

Reactions: Chris
I don't believe the NSG370 would be a direct swap. The AX-15/NV3550 does not swap into an 05-06 without several additional parts, including the bellhousing, so I suspect the same is true in reverse.

The AX-15 and NV3550 should be cross compatible, however.

It would definitely cause noise, but the amount of noise it would cause just depends on how bad it was. It could cause anything from a light squeaking to a full on squeal.

The NV3550 (and NSG370) are infamous for their "bucket of bolts" sound that truly does sound like someone is shaking around a bucket of bolts under your TJ. I'm not entirely sure why they do this, but I know that it is normal behavior for these transmissions.
bucket of bolts is an understatement. My NSG in 4 low sounds like there are a couple crescent wrenches turning in there!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I don't believe the NSG370 would be a direct swap. The AX-15/NV3550 does not swap into an 05-06 without several additional parts, including the bellhousing, so I suspect the same is true in reverse.

Bell housing is integrated part of NSG370.

I keep hitting a lack of info wall on that one. I have seen a few write-ups and I know of a few 370 swaps on the net that were done in pre-05 rigs. There is no conversion bell housing that I can find since the 370 version is integrated, not separate to move the CPS over to the left side. There is not a good mention of how they solved the CPS issue and had they done the CPS relocation kit, they would be talking about it.

You are correct on moving the earlier trans up into the 05-06 and we have done that one with the conversion bell housing from AA.

I keep hitting a lack of info wall on that one. I have seen a few write-ups and I know of a few 370 swaps on the net that were done in pre-05 rigs. There is no conversion bell housing that I can find since the 370 version is integrated, not separate to move the CPS over to the left side. There is not a good mention of how they solved the CPS issue and had they done the CPS relocation kit, they would be talking about it.

You are correct on moving the earlier trans up into the 05-06 and we have done that one with the conversion bell housing from AA.
Did'nt AA and Hesco offer a CPS relocation kit at one point. I believe it relocated to the front of the crank using a special balancer and mounting bracket.