Questions about swapping the CPS from a 2004 to a 2005

c_anthony27

I have a 2004 Sahara 4.0 that I am doing an engine replacement on.
Original engine had a blown headgasket and has 186k on it.

I bought a take out 2005 engine with 70k on it that runs great,

Im looking at the 2004 CPS and comparing it to the 2005
the 2005 has the oil pump drive gear assembly instead.

I should be good to pull the CPS from the 2004 and put in in the 2005 engine and just set the CPS like normal on the #1 cylinder compression stroke with the timing mark aligned etc

Am I correct in evaluating this

or am I missing something here ?

No, if you want to swap in that 05 engine you need the wiring harness and PCM from the 05, along with the engine itself.

Your 04 wiring harness and ECM aren’t going to work for that 2005 engine. If you want it to be a direct swap without having to change wiring or anything, you need to find an engine from a 03-04 TJ.

No, if you want to swap in that 05 engine you need the wiring harness and PCM from the 05, along with the engine itself.

Your 04 wiring harness and ECM aren’t going to work for that 2005 engine. If you want it to be a direct swap without having to change wiring or anything, you need to find an engine from a 03-04 TJ.
Chris
what exactly is different between the 2 engines ?

I thought I read somewhere that they could swap over if I took all of the sensors from the 2004 and put them on the 2005 engine

Chris
thank you
I sent you a direct message on here,

from what Im reading it looking like I can remove the 2005 OPDA from the 2005 engine

and on the 2005 long block install my 2004 CPS along with all of my 2004 sensors, flexplate, torque convertor, brackets, etc and be okay to install it all back in the wrangler ?

I may be wrong, I didn’t think the CPS would plug in as to my knowledge they are different on an 04 and an 05.

@mrblaine, can you confirm or deny his plan will work? I may have misspoke.

I may be wrong, I didn’t think the CPS would plug in as to my knowledge they are different on an 04 and an 05.

@mrblaine, can you confirm or deny his plan will work? I may have misspoke.

Chris
Im talking about physically taking the CPS from the 2004 engine and installing it instead of the OPDA in the 2005

I already installed the CPS in to the 2005 engine
and it drops in just fine
as far as I know the CPS is mechanically operated by the cam gear
and there are no mechanical differences between the 2004 and 2005 cam gear assembly

But I am far from an expert on Wrangler year specifics
thats why I wanted to double check before I put the new engine in

Chris
Im talking about physically taking the CPS from the 2004 engine and installing it instead of the OPDA in the 2005

I already installed the CPS in to the 2005 engine
and it drops in just fine
as far as I know the CPS is mechanically operated by the cam gear
and there are no mechanical differences between the 2004 and 2005 cam gear assembly

But I am far from an expert on Wrangler year specifics
thats why I wanted to double check before I put the new engine in
Wait until Blaine or Mark reply. They’ll know for 100% certain.

I have a 2004 Sahara 4.0 that I am doing an engine replacement on.
Original engine had a blown headgasket and has 186k on it.

I bought a take out 2005 engine with 70k on it that runs great,

Im looking at the 2004 CPS and comparing it to the 2005
the 2005 has the oil pump drive gear assembly instead.

I should be good to pull the CPS from the 2004 and put in in the 2005 engine and just set the CPS like normal on the #1 cylinder compression stroke with the timing mark aligned etc

Am I correct in evaluating this

or am I missing something here ?
Your assessment should be correct, underneath all the dressings they should be the same block. I have seen Blaine say it multiple times that the earlier camshaft synchronizer (the rotating assembly the camshaft position sensor fits onto used 2000-2004) drops straight into place on an 05-06 engine where the OPDA would have gone on one of those. It's the same hole that the distributor on older 90s went into as well. They should be the same block at the core and you'll just reuse all the 2004 stuff on it and remove all the 05 stuff, including flywheel/flexplate.

Reactions: Chris
Beware that the camshaft synchronizer is not the only sensor that changed in ‘05. The IAC will also need to be swapped, if not the entire throttle body. ‘04 may or may not have a Schrader valve on the fuel rai. The ‘05 definitely does not.

Your assessment should be correct, underneath all the dressings they should be the same block. I have seen Blaine say it multiple times that the earlier camshaft synchronizer (the rotating assembly the camshaft position sensor fits onto used 2000-2004) drops straight into place on an 05-06 engine where the OPDA would have gone on one of those. It's the same hole that the distributor on older 90s went into as well. They should be the same block at the core and you'll just reuse all the 2004 stuff on it and remove all the 05 stuff, including flywheel/flexplate.
Ok
thats what I was thinking also

The CPS installs in to the ODPA hole like normal

my CPS does not have a alignment holes on the body and the inner piece

any tips on how to properly install this with the engine at TDC

Beware that the camshaft synchronizer is not the only sensor that changed in ‘05. The IAC will also need to be swapped, if not the entire throttle body. ‘04 may or may not have a Schrader valve on the fuel rai. The ‘05 definitely does not.
Yes
I am taking literally everything off of the 04 take out and engine and putting in on the 05 long block
intake
throttle body
all sensors
CPS
exhaust manifolds
front accessories
etc etc

im basically just using the assembled 2005 long block
I already stripped it down and started swapping parts over

Ok
thats what I was thinking also

The CPS installs in to the ODPA hole like normal

my CPS does not have a alignment holes on the body and the inner piece

any tips on how to properly install this with the engine at TDC
I can't really speak to that one, have you tried searching the forums for write ups on installing the synchronizer on that range of years? On the early distributor years there were definitely some alignment holes that made it pretty much fool proof.

Looks like BSK has a video for it.

Cam Synchronizer Install

I can't really speak to that one, have you tried searching the forums for write ups on installing the synchronizer on that range of years? On the early distributor years there were definitely some alignment holes that made it pretty much fool proof.

Looks like BSK has a video for it.

Cam Synchronizer Install
yeah i saw that video

but his Synchronizer has alignment holes in it to use a tooth pick or a drill bit etc

mine for some reason does not have any holes anywhere to align the body and the center piece

You might have an aftermarket one if it doesn't have holes. Can't say for sure but a lot of them use an alignment tool instead. It's like a cap that sits on top and is supposed to be oriented in such a way once the synchronizer is fully seated into the engine. I'm really not familiar with the details on one of those on a 4.0 so hopefully you can find someone else who has been in those shoes.

You might have an aftermarket one if it doesn't have holes. Can't say for sure but a lot of them use an alignment tool instead. It's like a cap that sits on top and is supposed to be oriented in such a way once the synchronizer is fully seated into the engine. I'm really not familiar with the details on one of those on a 4.0 so hopefully you can find someone else who has been in those shoes.
yeah thats what i was thinking
its probably an aftermarket one

Just wanted to close this out for anyone that might search it in the future for reference

You can swap the cam synchronizer in place of the ODPA

in short

I took every sensor off of my 2004 engine
and swapped it all on to the 2005 engine
cam synchronizer
complete intake manifold
exhaust manifolds
all front brackets and accessories

installed it all back in to the 2004 sahara
hit the key
and it fired right up
came to a steady idle
and runs like a top

very very happy with the outcome

Reactions: machoheadgames
Just wanted to close this out for anyone that might search it in the future for reference

You can swap the cam synchronizer in place of the ODPA

in short

I took every sensor off of my 2004 engine
and swapped it all on to the 2005 engine
cam synchronizer
complete intake manifold
exhaust manifolds
all front brackets and accessories

installed it all back in to the 2004 sahara
hit the key
and it fired right up
came to a steady idle
and runs like a top

very very happy with the outcome
Nice work. How did you end up aligning the cam synchro?

Nice work. How did you end up aligning the cam synchro?
mine had to be an aftermarket one
no holes for alignment
i went to the local parts store and looked at the ones they sell and they come with an alignment tool which is like a cap
they let me borrow their alignment tool to set it
and it worked great
fired right up on the first crank of the key

Last edited: