Questions about upgrading

TinyTJ00

I have a 2.5 2000 TJ that I want to start building up. I have a 1994 and a 2017 that we built enough for our liking.

I'm having a hard time finding a full suspension kit for my TJ. I can't seem to find one that is all encompassing like for my JK. May I ask for some advice and knowledge sharing?

I'm hoping to have a 2.5 full suspension lift. I know I'll need a slip yoke eliminator as well. What do you guys recommend? I want 31 - 32s on her and to be able to do at least 60mph when I need her to. I drive her about 30 miles round trip a day, but I want good articulation when I do take her on Washington trails.

Which means probably a different rear end gearing as she's only a 2.5 liter. 4:10s? She's a 5 speed. Currently I'm at 60mph , 3k in 4th gear.

Currently I'm rocking my stock JKU wheels on her with 1.5 in adapter plates. Is it advisable to get rid of the adapters, go back to TJ bolt pattern wheels since I'm going to be off-roading her pretty good as well as daily her? Do the plates provide another breakage point or will they help me in the long run if I want wider tires.

Thanks for reading guys. I just want to make sure I do this right.

IMG_20200923_152533.jpg

Last edited:
It is likley that an all encompassing kit will not be what you want. Better to get the best of each part from a company that makes the best part for that specific item. OME springs are the go-to spring in that range. Their Nitro shocks are good, but you will likely be happier with Rancho 5000X shocks. You can get by without a new front track bar, but may want to get an adjustable one. Many are only for 3+" lift so pay attention to what you choose. A rear trackbar relocation bracket can get you set, but again, you may want to go for an upgrade there too. It sounds like you have enough experience in Jeeps to know what you want, just not how to get there in a TJ. So try to be as specific as you can be with what you actually want to achieve. Daily Driver with the ability to do MILD trails? The ultimate offroad dominator that can still go on the street? I had the 4 banger in on of my CJ-7s and going to 33" tires definitely required gear changes for 'ME'. Others claim 35s on 2.73s were good for THEM. There are a lot of good threads here about how to get what you want out of a lift. Read a lot of them. Many questions will be answered the more you read. This is by far the best place for TJ info by some really knowledgable guys and gals. Not all agree about everything, but then every person wants a slightly different result.

It is likley that an all encompassing kit will not be what you want. Better to get the best of each part from a company that makes the best part for that specific item. OME springs are the go-to spring in that range. Their Nitro shocks are good, but you will likely be happier with Rancho 5000X shocks. You can get by without a new front track bar, but may want to get an adjustable one. Many are only for 3+" lift so pay attention to what you choose. A rear trackbar relocation bracket can get you set, but again, you may want to go for an upgrade there too. It sounds like you have enough experience in Jeeps to know what you want, just not how to get there in a TJ. So try to be as specific as you can be with what you actually want to achieve. Daily Driver with the ability to do MILD trails? The ultimate offroad dominator that can still go on the street? I had the 4 banger in on of my CJ-7s and going to 33" tires definitely required gear changes for 'ME'. Others claim 35s on 2.73s were good for THEM. There are a lot of good threads here about how to get what you want out of a lift. Read a lot of them. Many questions will be answered the more you read. This is by far the best place for TJ info by some really knowledgable guys and gals. Not all agree about everything, but then every person wants a slightly different result.
Thank you for the reply. I'll definitely have to do more digging. When I upgraded the 2017, I picked up an OME heavy lift kit that came with everything I needed. Took 8 hours but I installed it myself and even had my local 4x4 shop review my work.

Again, I'll do some digging. Thank you

I also have a 2000 2.5 TJ. I'm in the middle of sourcing the parts below that I got from another thread. Not sure if this is enough for you but its a good base I think.

I get a lot of members asking for details on my lift, so I thought it appropriate to provide the information on it here, along with some gratuitous photos of course ;)

Parts used in my 2.5" lift (under $600 for everything listed):

Rancho shocks tend to run long and 0-1" shocks fit much better than the 2-3" shocks I had originally installed.

1) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 0-2" (2 Front) — RS55128
2) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 0-2" (2 Rear) — RS55240
3) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Front) — EXP55297 (ebay sometimes has lower spring prices)
4) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Rear) — EXP55298 (ebay sometimes has lower spring prices)
5) OME Rear Track Bar Reloaction Bracket — ARB FKWTJ02
6) Rokmen 1/2" Aluminum Body Lift
7) Daystar.75" Spacers — KJ09108BK (note: only used above front springs for leveling)
8) Rock Krawler Bump Stop Extensions (Front and Rear) --RKSRK05611 (note: Comes with 6 1" extensions. Glue or bolt 1 to each spring bucket at the bottom of the front springs; I used this RTV Adhesive and it worked great (edit: 2 1/2 years and still holding strong). Then bolt 1 above each bump stop cup on rear springs)

I didn't need to lower the TC and had ZERO vibrations (YMMV). I also didn't need to make any drive line or control arm modifications.

note: You can easily make this lift a little over 3" by replacing the above 1/2" body lift with a 1.25" body lift and a JKS motor mount lift.

1) Savvy Aluminum 1.25" Body Lift
2) JKS 1" Motor Mount Spacer Lift

I also have a 2000 2.5 TJ. I'm in the middle of sourcing the parts below that I got from another thread. Not sure if this is enough for you but its a good base I think.

I get a lot of members asking for details on my lift, so I thought it appropriate to provide the information on it here, along with some gratuitous photos of course ;)

Parts used in my 2.5" lift (under $600 for everything listed):

Rancho shocks tend to run long and 0-1" shocks fit much better than the 2-3" shocks I had originally installed.

1) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 0-2" (2 Front) — RS55128
2) Rancho RS5000X Shocks 0-2" (2 Rear) — RS55240
3) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Front) — EXP55297 (ebay sometimes has lower spring prices)
4) Pro Comp 2" Springs (Rear) — EXP55298 (ebay sometimes has lower spring prices)
5) OME Rear Track Bar Reloaction Bracket — ARB FKWTJ02
6) Rokmen 1/2" Aluminum Body Lift
7) Daystar.75" Spacers — KJ09108BK (note: only used above front springs for leveling)
8) Rock Krawler Bump Stop Extensions (Front and Rear) --RKSRK05611 (note: Comes with 6 1" extensions. Glue or bolt 1 to each spring bucket at the bottom of the front springs; I used this RTV Adhesive and it worked great (edit: 2 1/2 years and still holding strong). Then bolt 1 above each bump stop cup on rear springs)

I didn't need to lower the TC and had ZERO vibrations (YMMV). I also didn't need to make any drive line or control arm modifications.

note: You can easily make this lift a little over 3" by replacing the above 1/2" body lift with a 1.25" body lift and a JKS motor mount lift.

1) Savvy Aluminum 1.25" Body Lift
2) JKS 1" Motor Mount Spacer Lift
This helps me so much. Thank you. Definitely a great base. But where are the pictures you mentioned? 😂