Questions before ordering gears

Vay

Longtime lurker, first post. 05 Rocky Mtn Edition with 4.0 and 42rle 4spd auto. Daily driver, occasionally wheeled. Dana 44 rear and Dana 30 front, currently running 33s with the factory 3.73 gears (O/D off button has become a good friend of mine). I will be regearing to 4.88 here soon, but before I pull the trigger on this gear package from Revolution I wanted to confirm that this will be the right one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YRNSJM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

^Is it correct that I need a thick gear for the rear 44 to reuse the carrier? If so, I believe that's the right package but correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, is it correct that 4.88s are the lowest ratio that will fit in a dana 30? I ask that because there is a possibility of 35s sometime down the road

One more question, while I have it apart I'm considering tossing in an aussie locker in the front Dana 30. Other than the clicking around sharp turns, is there any downside to a front lunchbox as far as street driving?

Thanks guys

5.13 would be a more appropriate ratio for 33s and the 42RLE and is the deepest gearing you can get for the Dana 30.

You would need thick cut gears for the rear Dana 44, but not the Dana 30

5.13 would be a more appropriate ratio for 33s and the 42RLE and is the deepest gearing you can get for the Dana 30.

You would need thick cut gears for the rear Dana 44, but not the Dana 30
Thanks, I was somehow completely unaware that you could get 5.13s for a Dana 30 lol. I'll definitely consider it since I just plugged it into grimmjeeper's calculator and the numbers look pretty good

Don't just consider the 5.13s, go with that suggestion. Your 42RLE has such a steep overdrive ratio that the 5.13 would defbe the better choice. The 42RLE is the only reason we're recommending 5.13 for your 33's.

5.13 for a non-Rubicon!

There should be no other drive-ability issues with a front lunchbox. I went with a PowerTrax No Slip which has no ratcheting when turning. Only suggestion is to upgrade the front shafts to 4340 chromoly. The locker really stresses the shafts, especially at the ears if there’s a hit.

I will be going with 5.13s. However if I do eventually go to 35s, I would imagine that with 5.13 I'd be a little undergeared. The calculator is showing that there isn't that big of a difference in rpms between 33s and 35s with 5.13. So will I be alright keeping the 5.13s if I do get 35s in the future?

5.38 is the recommended ratio for 35s and the 42RLE. However, the deepest ratio you can get for a TJ Dana 30 is 5.13. 5.13 isn't optimal, but is still acceptable.

Rubicon models (with Dana 44 front and rear axles) have many more ratios available, including 5.38 and 5.89, that won't work in non-Rubicon models.

5.38 is the recommended ratio for 35s and the 42RLE. However, the deepest ratio you can get for a TJ Dana 30 is 5.13. 5.13 isn't optimal, but is still acceptable.

Rubicon models (with Dana 44 front and rear axles) have many more ratios available, including 5.38 and 5.89, that won't work in non-Rubicon models.
That's what I figured for 35s. After driving with my current setup for over a year I'm sure that slightly less than optimal would still be great haha