Questions from a Jeep newbie

Turbo

1st post after purchasing my first Jeep - thanks for the patience ahead of time!

I recently picked up a 1999 TJ, Inline 6 with a 5-speed manual, 90k miles, and I'm getting ready to change some fluids. Based on Chris' posts; I think I have the following hardware and need the following fluids.

• Transmission: AX-15 —- 3.32 quarts of 75w-90 GL4 with the preferred fluid of Redline MT-90
  • Transfer Case: NV231 —- 1.1 quarts of ATF-4
  • Front diff: Dana 30 —- 1.25 quarts of 75w-140
  • Rear diff —- Dana 35 —- 1.75 quarts of 75w-140
Is this correct?

Coolent and brake fluids were recently done. I'm planning to replace the spark plugs, wires and distributor cap. Is there anything else that is a must for a 22-year-old car with 90k miles?

many thanks!

Reactions: glowell222
I bought my 99 bone stock not a damn thing was changed. only 80k miles. Ive had to change everything. For your diffs and transfer case just fill them to the point where they barely start to come out. make sure you inspect the fluid that comes out of each to ensure not alot of metal babbit

That's essentially my car. 90k and completely stock.
Yes, I'm familiar with how to change out the fluids but just curious if I got everything correct up above. Also, is there anything else that's worth doing. BTW, this is our 6th car, so it won't see a lot of miles.

That's essentially my car. 90k and completely stock.
Yes, I'm familiar with how to change out the fluids but just curious if I got everything correct up above. Also, is there anything else that's worth doing. BTW, this is our 6th car, so it won't see a lot of miles.
Yea get out the service manual and go through each of the milestones and check everything. alot of the components are probably WORN but not broken and if they are near that threshold to replace the only way you will know is if your checking everything or it breaks.

IE BREAKs, ujoints, hubs, radiator stuff, heater core. some of its super easy some of it not.
timing chain. tons of bearings. you can throw a rock at a jeep and hit something that is wrong when you buy it off the street.

Welcome to the forum!

One thing that you probably want to do, if you haven't already, is pick up an OBDII code reader. It will come in handy.