Questions from a newbie whose headed to King of the Hammers

rjaym

Supporting Member
ETA is 1/30-2/1 - ish - I’m taking the old dodge CTD and sleeping in the cab - no Jeep.
Question- the 2023 spectator map shows the viewing locations and trails to them - but no scale ( lame). Roughly how far apart are these viewing locations?
Q2 - I imagine arriving at this event “late” as I will be, it will be an absolute cluster fawk of people and I’ll likely have to park /camp how many miles from this epicenter “ hammertown “?
Q3 - I will be solo - is a pit bike / dirt bike / utv necessary to get to the “ must see “ rock crawling obstacles?
Thanks rjm

Reactions: inkedrose
I've been to every KOH since 2010. You can camp walking distance to Hammertown lots to check out there. It's to far to walk to get to any spectator areas. You can get across the lake bed to Chocolate Thunder in a 2wd very easily. Getting to Sledgehammer takes some skill driving in soft sand.
Backdoor is at least on the same side of the lake bed as Hammertown it's a long way to carry a 12 pack though. Heard you'll be able to rent a SXS out there this year.

Reactions: inkedrose
Renting SxS? I can only imagine the carnage…. You qualify as a KOH historian with 13 years under your belt. I wish I had gone long before it became a spectacle. I get the feeling this event is getting too popular and that will lead to more rules and $$.
I just retired and wanted to see this firsthand before it gets “ not worth the effort” label. Your info is appreciated/ helpful - I'm hoping I can find a spot close to HT for 1 night knowing I may loose it when I drive to these spectator points the other days . I get the impression I “could” hike to backdoor- - from HT - could you guess the miles/ distance?
Thanks Russ