Quick grinding sound when starting

ndaddy

My 06 LJ grinds/crunch/screeches for one second as it turns over and then instantly stops. It does not do it again as the car is on, and it performs well otherwise. No delay in start. Pretty much goes key in and turn — crank-crank -grind/crunch while turning over for one second or less-- normal driving. Not even sure whats going on at this point considering no driving capabilities have been compromised. I am honestly not sure if it happens every single time / what makes it better or worse, I just noticed it yesterday as I do not drive the car often. The weather was nice.

A few weeks ago, I thought I heard my car make a strange noise when starting, so I turned it off and try to re-start it. At this point, the car would not start, it would not even crank or click even though all of the lights and radio would turn on. I tried an hour later - same thing. It was probably 40 degrees F. I came back at midnight when it was 10 degrees and sheets of ice everywhere and the car started right up. So maybe its battery / alternated related?? not sure. let me know.

What do you think?

Taking a shot in the dark because you said screeching, but every time I start my Jeep the serpentine belt loves to scream for me. Where does it sound like the noise is coming from?

Starter. Sometimes (sometimes) if you loosen the starter and give it a bit of a wiggle it will re-align better on the flywheel starter ring. If that doesn't work then I predict a new starter is in your near future.

My 06 LJ grinds/crunch/screeches for one second as it turns over and then instantly stops. It does not do it again as the car is on, and it performs well otherwise. No delay in start. Pretty much goes key in and turn — crank-crank -grind/crunch while turning over for one second or less-- normal driving. Not even sure whats going on at this point considering no driving capabilities have been compromised. I am honestly not sure if it happens every single time / what makes it better or worse, I just noticed it yesterday as I do not drive the car often. The weather was nice.

A few weeks ago, I thought I heard my car make a strange noise when starting, so I turned it off and try to re-start it. At this point, the car would not start, it would not even crank or click even though all of the lights and radio would turn on. I tried an hour later - same thing. It was probably 40 degrees F. I came back at midnight when it was 10 degrees and sheets of ice everywhere and the car started right up. So maybe its battery / alternated related?? not sure. let me know.

What do you think?

I replaced my starter and started hearing this sound about a month afterward. Got underneath and found out that the starter was coming loose so I tightened everything back up. Got a square to the fly wheel. Problem solved. Hope yours is that easy.