Quick Opinion on Pinion Angle Wanted / Vibration

Ron505

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Gold Digger has developed a vibration/slight knock from stop to about 5 mph. It seemed to happen more when I was turning, so I just pulled the front DS, and it's still doing it. I have read that it could be the rear pinion going bad, because the angle doesn't look like what I've read it should look like. Thoughts on this angle? Any other thoughts on what the vibe/knock could be? I'm taking it over to my friends this evening to put it on his lift. I hate crawling around on cold concrete floors!

20161210_115518_zpsjmwnbf35.jpg

By the way, I'm going to go ahead and put the front shaft back in and pull the rear shaft and see if that changes anything too. I'm planning to go ahead and get the front shaft rebuild also though

Reactions: Chris
Well it's hard to tell without an angle finder, but that doesn't look bad to me. The angle on the rear pinion should be 1-2 degrees lower than the driveshaft from what I'm told. This is because when you accelerate the driveshaft will slightly move up.

Yours looks like the rear pinion is down just slightly lower, which is good. However, I would put an angle finder on there just to make certain it's not down too far, in which case that would be bad.

Reactions: Ron505
Well it's not making the noise or vibration with the rear DS removed. U joints sure feel good, but I'll replace them anyway.

I also noticed that it pops out of 4Hi sometimes, so I'll need to adjust that while I'm at it.

I would replace the u-joints for sure. In addition to that, there's always the chance that your driveshaft is out of balance.

Reactions: Ron505