Quote for regear

Jake kozlowski

TJ Enthusiast
Elmendorf Air Force Base, Anchorage, AK, USA
After getting a killer deal on ring and pinion sets with master install kits, and new axle shafts I'm curious on install prices.

I was quoted $800 for install with a 1 year warranty. An additional $180 to install my ARB, and Aussie. So less that $1000 for labor no parts.

I would love to do it myself but I think I would spend more in my tools and time. Plus I can't guarantee/warranty gear work since I've never done it. Watched about every video on YouTube just don't know if I can pull the trigger.

Regardless is this a decent price for install?

Reactions: JMT
After getting a killer deal on ring and pinion sets with master install kits, and new axle shafts I'm curious on install prices.

I was quoted $800 for install with a 1 year warranty. An additional $180 to install my ARB, and Aussie. So less that $1000 for labor no parts.

I would love to do it myself but I think I would spend more in my tools and time. Plus I can't guarantee/warranty gear work since I've never done it. Watched about every video on YouTube just don't know if I can pull the trigger.

Regardless is this a decent price for install?

That is pretty good for being in Los Anchorage. Typically you are looking about $1200 including the Aussie (they take no real time when the diff is already out) and then extra for the ARB from there. Just make sure whoever it is has plenty of experience with ARBs as bad install is the number one cause of issues.

Reactions: Jake kozlowski
I've been reading that thread! That's the main reason I'm hesitant.

It's just crazy $1000 in labor!

I paid $1000 to have mine done, and that wasn't including the gears of course.

Believe me... I'll rebuild an engine, swap out an axle, do a heater core myself, etc. The two things I won't touch are ring and pinions and transmission rebuilds. I leave those to the experts.

That's not to say that you couldn't learn to do it. But based off what I've seen, no one is going to get it right the first time. So in this case, it would be much more worth it to pay someone to do it right the first time (it usually takes them a day or two at most) and warranty their work.

I'm with you Chris. I've pulled, built, installed motors, swapped axles and rebuilt TrueTracs but I won't go near a re-gear or a tranny unless it is swapping out the converter or doing a basic oil/filter change. I have done a couple valve body upgrades but was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Last edited:
I'm with you Chris. I've pulled, built, installed motors, swapped axles and rebuilt TrueTracs but I won't go near a re-gear or a tranny unless it is swiping out the converter or doing a basic oil/filter change. I have done a couple valve body upgrades but was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Yep! It's one of those things where unless you've been doing it for a long time and have the tools and experience, it's not something you're likely to pick up on your first go around. There will be some trial and error to the learning process, and I don't want to do that learning on my Jeep ;)

That is pretty good for being in Los Anchorage. Typically you are looking about $1200 including the Aussie (they take no real time when the diff is already out) and then extra for the ARB from there. Just make sure whoever it is has plenty of experience with ARBs as bad install is the number one cause of issues.
He has been doing it for 15 years and is who everyone in Alaska has recommended.

Reactions: Chris
I'm with you Chris. I've pulled, built, installed motors, swapped axles and rebuilt TrueTracs but I won't go near a re-gear or a tranny unless it is swapping out the converter or doing a basic oil/filter change. I have done a couple valve body upgrades but was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
Seems to be the overall thought on gearing haha

I'd be all over that price. You could drop a grand easy on quality dial indicators and torque wrenches. Then you would have to hope that you could actually use them properly.

I've been reading that thread! That's the main reason I'm hesitant.

It's just crazy $1000 in labor!
You can figure 4 hours of labor per axle.
Then for the ARB they must drill a hole in the dif. (Cant recall if they also have to thread it)

So all in all its a pretty normal price to pay. Just be happy they are going to warranty parts you supply them. Most people wont.