Radiator fit issue

PhantomX

Supporting Member
I did the cooling system overhaul per the FAQ page that was on this forum and after I reinstalled every thing I have a conflict with the fan shroud. I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2.5L with a manual transmission which calls for a Mopar 5503762aa radiator. The problem I am having is that the shroud won't line up correctly. I had installed a 1" BL about 2 years ago and adjust the shroud at that time so I figured it would be OK or require another adjustment.

The challenge is that it appears the new radiator is sitting higher than the old one and the lower radiator hose is blocking the shroud from being able to be lined up properly. Also I measured the distance from the top of the lower radiator hose to the top of the radiator and it was just a little over 19.5 inches and the the same measurement on the old radiator was a little over 20 inches.

The shroud needs to move down to not touch fan blades and to line up with mounting holes but as I noted the lower radiator hose is blocking it from being able to be moved down.

The only solution I can think of is to modify the mounting locations on the new radiator by using a small piece of metal bar to lower it and I am not even sure that will work based on how the radiator attaches to the Jeep.

So my question is has any one else ran into this with the cooling upgrade and if so how did you fix it? I am hoping someone has a good solution before I have to start modifying the new radiator to try and lower it.

Do you have any suspension lift?
Easiest method would proably be to drill new holes in the fan shroud like you did when you put in the body lift. I just replaced my 04 4.0 with the same radiator and did also notice the holes weren't exactly the same it took a bit of "negotiating" to get it bolted back in.

Did you use the same radiator hoses or did you replace them as well?

You could also cut the bottom of the shroud actually to accommodate the lower hose. I've seen that done before. I do not know if there are any adverse effects from cutting the shroud.

Thx TJ04. I would reposition it but the lower hose is blocking me from doing that unfortunately. I looked at notching the lower part of the shroud to make room to drop it down a bit but it seems the lower hose will still block it if I do. The entire hose basically lays against the shroud so notching probably won't work. I was hoping some one knew how to reposition it to get it to work.

Pictures? You could also try sending it back maybe you got a messed up one. Otherwise a 1 inch mml negates the need to move the fan shroud when you have a body lift. Could consider it but those need suspension lift. Sorry, that's about all I've got since no one else has chimed in with more helpful advice.

strange that it sits almost an inch or so off from what the last one was at. You could try pulling them both out, laying them side by side and seeing if anything is obviously messed up or differnt.

And is there any way this is an install issue on our end? You are sure everything is hooked up correctly? I mean no insult with this. I know I've put stuff together wrong more than once

Reactions: PhantomX
Thanks for the advice. Ususally the first think I think of is did I install it right or did I hook something up wrong. Trust me I have had my share of learning experiences. However, I have checked it versus the old one and don't see a way to have installed it wrong (ie too high). Like I said I measured it and the dimensions are different from one to the other but all mopar sites say it is the right model. I am thinking that it is slightly different design and that slight differnce is creating an issue to due to the body lift.

I tried to get pics but it is hard to see anything meaninful because the shroud is blocking everything. I am seriously considering just cutting a big notch along the bottom of the shroud to allow it to sit a bit lower and then drill holes in it to zip tie it around the lower radiator hose. Also I am considering fashioning a small piece of metal like a 1" wide by 2" long bracket to allow it to sit a bit lower. I looked at drilling new holes in the part that the radiator mounts up to but it is not a flat surface so that wouldn't work.

I will keep you posted on what if anything I find out on it.