Radio interference

Brian Alcorn

TJ Enthusiast
ok heres a good one... so i have a 2004 Rubicon and the 2 12v sockets in front of the gearshift one hot all the time one hot with key on .... the one hot all the time has been removed as the switch for my pillar lights fit perfectly the one hot with the key on has an inverter plugged to charge phones as sometimes there is more than 2 people however sometimes but not all the time the radio has static and I just figures it was the signal or clouds or anything but the inverter. Well tonight while jammin I plug up the inverter and instant static ... unplugged and it went back to clear so I did it about 10 times with the same result ... what gives ...could the inverter be going bad as its a year or two old ... just seams weird

Some inexpensive inverters generate a lot of RF noise and it's cheaper and easier to just replace them with a better model or go to 12 volt chargers. Someone will probably suggest making an RF filter but that's a hit or miss thing that is more trouble than it's worth in this situation. Personally I'd go for pure 12 volt based chargers that don't require an inverter.

The noise is more than likely caused by poor filtering in a cheaply built inverter. IF you want to continue using a inverter; spend the money and purchase a quality one that has good filtering and produces pure sine wave.
Eastwood make some fairly good ones for a decent price.

I have a Milwaukee battery charger that must violate every FCC rule in the book. Charge a battery and FM is pure static for a block. Some electronics are just crap these days, it can be difficult to tell the good from the bad.

I have a Milwaukee battery charger that must violate every FCC rule in the book. Charge a battery and FM is pure static for a block. Some electronics are just crap these days, it can be difficult to tell the good from the bad.
I don't believe I've ever seen a purpose-built bench top or roll-around automotive battery charger that wasn't extremely electrically noisy. They're not usually meant or designed for use except in a stationary charging situation where electrical noise is not usually a worry like it would be with a cell phone battery charger.

I don't believe I've ever seen a purpose-built bench top or roll-around automotive battery charger that wasn't extremely electrically noisy.
I don't think anything you plug in is supposed to broadcast noise on the FM band. Can you hear your chargers on the radio when you plug them in? Maybe it's normal and I've been lucky or maybe nobody listens to the radio anymore.

Edit: this is a small M12 charger, not some big hulking thing

It was like 40 bucks at wally world ...

20200708_223518.jpg

20200708_223532.jpg

Yeah thats what the wife has .. inverter was in the work van before covid to charge drill batteries .. of which I'm still currently unemployed ..bit not much longer .. doing a little ditty to get back at it today ..thank the Lord