RAM drag link recall & alignment

Granite

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
A while back I had the drag link recall done on my 2018 Ram 2500. As I understand it the jam nuts on the drag link adjustment sleeve would loosen up and cause steering failures, and the fix was to weld the jam nuts to the sleeve.
I didn’t think much about it at the time but I just got this from the manufacturer and I am realizing that might not have been the best long term solution. Maybe a lawyers solution more so than a mechanic’s, or even an owner’s.
Just posting here to get peoples’ thoughts on things like:
  • Why was this an issue on these vehicles and not other solid front axle vehicles like Jeeps?
  • What might have been a better fix?
  • Is performing my own steering wheel alignment at home now going to be impossible?
Oh and there’s no way this sticker is staying on my drag link with the New Hampshire winters and the oil undercoatings!

IMG_0690.jpeg

• Face Palm
Reactions: Tranz Zam
Synergy makes a drag link that is a real fix (this is the route that I took). IIRC, the 2019 and latter drag link addressed this and can be retrofitted to our trucks.

This recall was very disappointing . Making a mechanism designed to be adjustable non-adjustable is not a fix.

Reactions: Granite