Rancho 9000XL shocks?

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Are these shocks still considered pretty good? I think it’s about that time for me to replace mine.

I have read about these rusting easy. Anyone run across this issue? How easy is it to adjust?

I currently have the RS9000XL shocks but actually preferred my previous RS5000X shocks. If you live where the roads are salted just apply an extra coat or two of Rustoleum paint.

I currently have the RS9000XL shocks but actually preferred my previous RS5000X shocks. If you live where the roads are salted just apply an extra coat or two of Rustoleum paint.

I sometimes wish I didnt have shocks with knobs so I'd stop tinkering with them. ;) The Ride is nice, I would like to ride in a rs5000x jeep to compare.

Reactions: Chris
Why do you prefer the 5000’s?
I don't like the RS5000, I like the RS5000x... there's a big difference between the older/stiffer hydraulic RS5000 and newer gas-charged RS5000x. After several trips ending up with the RS9000xl now being on its softest setting that I liked the overall ride of the RS5000x better. Offroad too. That RS5000x is a surprisingly good shock.

The only thing I like about the adjustability of the RS9000xl is that I can firm them up a little for towing my tent trailer but that's not a significant thing for me since the RS5000x towed my tent trailer equally fine.

Reactions: lovemachine
I have the 9000 and they ride decent but I found I pretty much have them set on 2-3, which I believe according to Rancho is about what the 5000x is. Probably could have saved a few $$$ and just went with them. They also seem like they are affected by temp, when it’s colder out they feel a lot stiffer to me.

I have NOT had good luck with the 9000's. I had them on a 98 TJ and a Chevy Z71. I had to get both sets replaced under warranty after about 2 years. My Dad had a set and same thing except he trashed them and moved on.

I had a set of Rancho 9000's years ago. After some experimentation I ended up setting the adjustment knobs at or near the middle position and never changed them after that. Based upon that experience I would be inclined to buy a set of Rancho RS5000x shocks instead.

I have been running RS9000 shocks for some years and do like to adjust them to suit the type of off roading I am doing at the time. I have just broken an adjuster knob off one of the rears so need to replace that one but they must be 10 years old and have done some reasonably difficult off roading. No complaints here...