Rancho RS5000X shocks look rough right out of the box

SouthernLJ

TJ Enthusiast
Do Rancho's come kind of of rough from the factory. I ordered 4 and every one of them either have dings or have a chip in the paint. Is this normal? I started to think I may have gotten some that someone returned, but I noticed there is still paint on the threads.

20220303_164153.jpg

20220303_164224.jpg

Not pictured is one that has 2 dings on it twice the size of the bottom picture. I wouldn't think that would affect performance, would it?

I ordered all 4 from Amazon. I'm pretty sure it was a link provided by Chris in one of the threads on this board. It was delivered by a 3rd party, not UPS or FedEx like normal. All 4 were in a pretty beat up cardboard box. 1 shock had normal packaging. 2 were open on one end. The last one was already open on both ends. I figured since there was nothing securing the shocked in their rancho boxes, movement of the shock in the box eventually opened up the ends of the boxes.

Thoughts?

Do Rancho's come kind of of rough from the factory. I ordered 4 and every one of them either have dings or have a chip in the paint. Is this normal? I started to think I may have gotten some that someone returned, but I noticed there is still paint on the threads.

View attachment 313351

View attachment 313352

Not pictured is one that has 2 dings on it twice the size of the bottom picture. I wouldn't think that would affect performance, would it?

I ordered all 4 from Amazon. I'm pretty sure it was a link provided by Chris in one of the threads on this board. It was delivered by a 3rd party, not UPS or FedEx like normal. All 4 were in a pretty beat up cardboard box. 1 shock had normal packaging. 2 were open on one end. The last one was already open on both ends. I figured since there was nothing securing the shocked in their rancho boxes, movement of the shock in the box eventually opened up the ends of the boxes.

Thoughts?
As long as the work, I wouldn't worry about them. FWIW, they're going to get beat up quickly anyway, due to where they are.

When I received mine, they also appeared as though they were in opened boxes and one box was missing the small bag containing the nuts/bushings. But the plastic retaining straps were intact on them and I don't recall any paint chips, so I just figured during handling in the warehouse at some point they had broken out of the end of the box.

When I received mine, they also appeared as though they were in opened boxes and one box was missing the small bag containing the nuts/bushings. But the plastic retaining straps were intact on them and I don't recall any paint chips, so I just figured during handling in the warehouse at some point they had broken out of the end of the box.

I think I had 4 packs of hardware total. 2 of each assortment. I think I have everything I need. The logo stickers that go on the shocks are bent up and creased. Meh, I'll live.

I think I had 4 packs of hardware total. 2 of each assortment. I think I have everything I need. The logo stickers that go on the shocks are bent up and creased. Meh, I'll live.
My stickers were creased and unusable. Which was fine - I had no intention of applying them. I put them in the trash next to the red shock boots

I'd heard the paint on these was thin, so when I bought a set I'd already made up my mind I was going to paint them.

I cut off the boots, taped over the exposed shafts, and did a quick once-over sanding on the white paint. The cross-hatched machining on the ends was really sharp too, came close to getting a cut until I knocked the metal down. Then I sprayed some Rust-Oleum satin black and let that dry/cure before installation.

Yours looked similar to how mine looked upon arrival. I also ordered from Amazon.

I'd heard the paint on these was thin, so when I bought a set I'd already made up my mind I was going to paint them.

I cut off the boots, taped over the exposed shafts, and did a quick once-over sanding on the white paint. The cross-hatched machining on the ends was really sharp too, came close to getting a cut until I knocked the metal down. Then I sprayed some Rust-Oleum satin black and let that dry/cure before installation.

Yours looked similar to how mine looked upon arrival. I also ordered from Amazon.
I plan to paint mine as well. The knurling on the ends of mine were also quite sharp.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
They match the Jeep.
Oh for sure, I've seen your red accents. Definitely on theme.

I'm laughing thinking about red shocks on my green jeep. Maybe I'll keep a red set around for the holiday season. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 313351

View attachment 313352

Thoughts?
I just ordered some last week on Amazon. They showed up last Tuesday. I was excited about getting them on. Each TJ upgrade feels a little bit like "adult Christmas". They both had the plastic retaining strips still intact, but both had a ding or two and one front shock was missing the upper mounting hardware/bushings. I called Rancho and of course the guy blamed it on Amazon, but he did send me another bushing kit for free. Meanwhile, I called Amazon and they shipped a complete one out for free. Just have to return the old/new one. Better believe I am keeping the extra bushing kit as payment for missing three sunny, 65 degree TJ driving days while waiting ;) You don't get many of these days in early March in Ohio!

Reactions: SouthernLJ
same. Last set I bought had at least one end popped open, I don't think whatever adhesive they use to close them really works very well.

I painted mine silver, because I had a couple of cans left over from another project. They look like a pricier shock like the RS9000, or if you're far enough away or have bad eyesight, I suppose they could be mistaken for something high end like a Fox.

Reactions: Mike Z